Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

15days itinerary

Hi, I am planning to visit Japan in April. I will be in Osaka and Kyoto from Day 1 to 4, and back to Tokyo from Day 5 onwards. And maybe a side trip to Yokohama.

Is it better to fly direct to Osaka via HND or take the shinkansen instead? I plan to stay around Umeda area in Osaka and Ueno area in Tokyo.. I think both locations are on the subway loop lines, so it should be convenient right?

Is there any other costs that I need to factor in such as the transfers between locations and how much is that?

1) Air fares ~$1,070:

(trip 1) Fly from Singapore to HND airport (ETA 10am)

(trip 2) Fly from HND airport to Osaka ITM (ETA 1:30pm, based on 12:30pm flight.. Cos 2hrs buffer for custom clearance, check-in again and transfer to the domestic flight terminal.. or should I take 11:30am flight instead?)

(trip 2) Fly from Osaka ITM airport to HND airport

(trip 3) Fly from HND airport to Singapore

2) Air fares ~$820 + 7days JR Pass ~$350

(trip 1) Fly from Singapore to HND airport (arrive ~8pm)

(trip 2) Train from Tokyo station to Osaka

(trip 3) Travel within Osaka and Kyoto, where should I stay as a base?

(trip 4) Train from Osaka or Kyoto to Tokyo station

(trip 5) Fly from HND airport to Singapore

Also, I am getting a SUICA/PASMO card for the subways in Osaka / Kyoto / Tokyo / Yokohama for convenience.

Thank you!!

Comments

• Hi there Evelyn, thanks for writing to us.

Regarding your questions:

Is it better to fly direct to Osaka via HND or take the shinkansen instead? I plan to stay around Umeda area in Osaka and Ueno area in Tokyo..

- You'll find that airports are outside the city, while shinkansen drop you off right in the heart of the city! The bullet train may be slightly more convenient.

Is there any other costs that I need to factor in such as the transfers between locations and how much is that?

- For this, Hyperdia is a really great website to see if you need transfers and to check the cost of individual tickets. Check out our page on how to use Hyperdia: http://forum.japan-rail-pass.com/japan-by-rail/hyperdia

Also, I am getting a SUICA/PASMO card for the subways in Osaka / Kyoto / Tokyo / Yokohama for convenience.

- You can even get this ahead of time together with your Japan Rail Pass: http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/pasmocard