Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Would a JR Pass benefit my itinerary

Can you tell me if getting a JR pass for my itinerary would pay off? I price the fares out on HyperDia and it appears that a 21 day pass would be cost saving, but when to activate it is the question since I'm in Japan well pass 21 days.

Arrive Tokyo Narita May 10, 2017
10 – (arrival day)
11 – Tokyo (with day trips)
12 – Tokyo (with day trips)

Leave Tokyo – 13th to Mishima

14 – Mishima to Kanazawa

15 – Kanazawa
16 - Kanazawa
17 – Kanazawa

Leave Kanazawa 18th to Matsumoto

18-21 Matsumoto

Leave Matsumoto 22nd to Kyoto

Kyoto 22-June 1 (with day trips to Nara, Himeji, Hikone, etc.)

Leave Kyoto June 1st to Hiroshima

1 to 5th Hiroshima (with day trips Miyajima, Okayama, Onomichi and Iwakuni)

Leave Hiroshima 5th for Tokyo 5-8

5 - Tokyo (night)
6 - Tokyo (with day trips)
7 - Tokyo (with day trips)
8 - Tokyo (with day trips)

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Hi,
    With long trips or traveling at a slow pace, you're stuck with a no-win situation. You just have to minimize your losses as much as possible.
    That usually means using a series of regional passes, or reworking your plans to make a JR Pass better.
    You should use the 21 day pass to cover as much as you can. The longest and most expensive trip is returning to Tokyo, but you should consider flying on a cheap airline ticket. For your remaining day trips from Tokyo, if far enough, you can save money with a Tokyo Wide Pass.
    http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tokyowidepass/

Hope that helps.
  • Tenjin, thank you for responding. Yes, it does appear that slow travel doesn't always benefit the pass. Luckily I have enough mileage points that I was able to book a fare leaving Hiroshima-Tokyo, now the most expensive part of my travel is out of the way. So if I get the 21 day pass, would activating it from Mishima to Kanazawa be best? Also, I'm considering purchasing the JR Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass.
  • Hi,
    If you used a 21 day pass for May 13-June 2, you wouldn't make it pay off unless you added a couple of the trips like the round trip to Miyajima and Okayama.
    It would be better to get the 14 day pass and do as much of the travel as you can, then leave the short or no travel time in Kyoto until the end.
  • Tenjin, thank you again for your response. I am planning on visiting both Miyajima and Okayama as well as Onomichi and Iwakuni while in Hiroshima. Would that make the 21 day pass payoff? Since I'm leaving for Japan next week, I will be purchasing the pass either today or tomorrow. If you get a chance to reply today, I will go ahead and purchase based on your response. If not, I'll wait until tomorrow.

Thank you again.
  • Hi,
    As I mentioned, if you take the trips as I mentioned, you'd make the 21 day pass pay off. You'd get better value by reworking your schedule and using the 14 day pass, but if you think it's too strenuous on you, it's your choice.
    If you are still using the pass for Onomichi and Iwakuni, you'd get there faster and get more value by taking the bullet train and going to Shin-Onomichi and Shin-Iwakuni stations. You'd need to start from a station with a bullet train station though - Hiroshima is; Miyajimaguchi is not.
  • Tenjin, thankyou again for all your help. I've just ordered the 21 day pass.
  • I am travelling this Friday (5th May) from Malaysia and would go from Kansai Airport to Kyoto direct, then Kanazawa and back to Osaka on 9th May. I had originally planned to purchase the 5 day TAKAYAMA HOKURIKU PASS as I intend to go to Alpine Route but when I make my order just now, found out that there isn't enough time to courier out the physical voucher (which I originally thought that it could be via email). Kindly advise what would be the next best option i.e. what other passes can I purchase with such short time?

Thanks/Ethel
  • Hi,

First, it's better to start a new thread and not piggyback your question on someone else's.

If you can't get the Takayama-Hokuriku Pass because you don't have time, there are other passes that you can buy in Japan. Although given your plans, they may or may not save you money. You should know that the Takayama-Hokuriku Pass doesn't cover the Tateyama Alpine Route either.
    A few other passes you might consider (though none are a perfect solution) are the:
    Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Tourist Pass
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_alpen.html
    This does cover the Alpine Route, but not trains to Kanazawa or Nagoya.
    Another option is the JR Kansai Hokuriku Area Pass.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_kansai_hokuriku.html
    But this too leaves out a lot of your plans.
    Finally there is the Tateyama Kurobe Option Ticket.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7551.html
    This just covers the Alpine Route.

You can see regular fares, routes and schedules on Hyperdia.
    http://www.hyperdia.com
    Under "More Options", be sure to uncheck the Nozomi box since you can't ride that train using the pass.

Check the costs according to your plans, then choose the pass(es) that serve you best.