Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Tokyo or Kyoto first

I arrive NRT July 4 1:30pm and depart July 8 10pm.
It will be our first time in Japan and even though Tokyo looks very nice, we prefer nature and I would like to see Kyoto as well.

I was thinking 2 nights in Kyoto first and then 2 nights in Tokyo so we can be closer to the airport on July 8. But, also I think it might be very tiring to go to Kyoto on our first day.

What is better to do first? If we go to Kyoto last, will we need to leave around 3:30pm for a 10pm flight to Honolulu?

Comments

• Hi,
    Personally, if I were you I would skip Kyoto with such a short time in Japan. If you want to see nature, there are many places not far outside the Tokyo city limits. If you immediately went to Kyoto, you'd need to deplane, go through Customs, get your rail pass activated, change trains in Tokyo and then take the 3 hour trip to Kyoto - by the time you arrive it'd be going on 7 PM and there would be very little you could see - the temples and shrines close down around 5 PM. And like you said, you'll probably arrive exhausted after the long flight anyways.

If you go to Kyoto second, like you said you'd need to leave about 3:30 to catch your flight.

For nature near Tokyo, there is Nikko, Karuizawa, Takao, Okutama, Hakone and the Fuji 5 Lakes area. A Tokyo Wide Pass could save you money and it's waaay cheaper than the JR Pass.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_06.html

FWIW.
  • Thanks for your quick reply. We've just added a 5th night in Japan. Do you think this would still be too rushed for Kyoto? The flights are exactly the same but now departing 7/9 instead of 7/8. We are interested in halal food options and both Tokyo and Kyoto seem to cater to specialized tours which is why we were leaning toward Kyoto.
  • Hi,
    IMHO, if you can make it 6 days, then it would be short but you could do 3 days in the Tokyo area and 3 in Kansai, but otherwise, I would just stick to the Tokyo area and save Kyoto for a future trip. The last thing you really want while on a trip is to feel rushed all the time and hear a clock ticking in the back of your head.

If you choose to go for it, then the round trip plus Tokyo day trip, as well as the Narita Express would make a 7 day pass pay off.

If you want to explore restaurants, one good guide is
    www.bento.com

Good luck.