Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Itinerary help! - Hotels already booked for Kyoto and Tokyo!

Hi all

We're arriving in Narita on 05 June 2015

Stay 1:
Richmond Hotel in Asakusa, Tokyo from 05 June - 11 June 2015

Stay 2:
Hotel Monterey in Kyoto from 11 June - 18 June 2015

Stay 3
Richmond Hotel in Asakusa, Tokyo for one night 18 June 2015

Depart from Narita on 20 June in the morning at 09:00, we're a bit worried that if we stay on the 19th June as well, it might be a nightmare to reach the airport in time so we're going to go to the airport on the 19th June itself and maybe sleep at the airport.

I'm concerned about whether to get a JR pass and for how long as well.

We're going to be staying for 15 nights in total in Japan.

How can I structure the use of the JR pass if I get it if I want to visit the following:

Tokyo

- Studio Ghibli
- Akhihabara
- Universal Studios
- Tsukiji Market- We really love water features (like lakes, rivers ,etc) - where can we take day trips and will the JR Pass be required?

Kyoto:

- We really love water features (like lakes, rivers ,etc) - where can we take day trips and will the JR Pass be required?
- Gion District
- Temple of the Golden Pavilion

Any help will be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

The Japan Rail Pass is really useful if you plan to do several long distance trips around Japan. As it can only be used on JR lines, and not any private lines (such as on the Tokyo metro system), it is not very useful within the cities itself. When in Tokyo and Kyoto you can use a pasmo card to get you around. Also Kyoto has a great 1 day bus pass for 500 yen which gives unlimited travel all around the city. This can be purchased at Kyoto station directly.

Depending on the side trips you wish to do, we would advise you check the train fares on www.hyperdia.com vs the price of a Japan Rail Pass. The links below can help you plan your side trips from Tokyo and Kyoto:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html

Kind regards,

Japan Experience