Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

JR Rail Pass (Tokyo - Nagoya) - Nozomi train not covered?

Hi please help,

Read from Japan-Guide website :

Take the JR Tokaido Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagoya (100-120 minutes, several trains per hour) and transfer to the JR Hida limited express train to Takayama (140 minutes, one train per hour). The entire one way journey takes about 4.5 hours, costs around 14,000 yen and is fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass if using a Hikari train between Tokyo and Nagoya (as opposed to Nozomi trains which are not covered by the pass).

Planning to buy JR Rail Pass to travel from Tokyo - Nagoya - Takayama, when search using HyperDia all the trains shown from Tokyo - Nagoya are Nozomi trains, there isn't any Hikari train?

Do you mean all the Nozomi trains from Tokyo - Nagoya are not cover under the JR Rail Pass?

Thanks & hope to hear from you soon as travelling in 9 Nov from Tokyo.

Comments

• As said, Nozomi trains are not covered.
    From Tokyo, there are Nozomi departures evert 10-15 minutes, but for Hikari trains, only about 2 per hour.

You can see regular fares, routes and schedules on Hyperdia.
    http://www.hyperdia.com
    Under "More Options", be sure to uncheck the Nozomi box since you can't ride that train using the pass.

• Hi thanks so much for your prompt reply!

In that case may just get JR East Pass (Nagano Nigata) & get a bus ticket from Matsumoto to Takayama

May I know

1. which bus company is easier to access after reach Matsumoto station & transfer to this bus to go Takayama?

2. I have a quick check on Willer Express bus can't find bus from Matsumoto to Takayama?

3. What's the main difference between Willer & JR bus?

Tried JR bus from Shinjuku to Mt. Fuji before but not Willer yet.

Thanks!
  • Hi

I search Japan bus online to travel from Matsumoto to Takayama also can't find bus ?

May I know is there bus from Matsumoto to Takayama daily? travelling on 9 Nov (1 way only)

https://japanbusonline.com/

Thanks!
  • Hi thanks I found Nohi bus from Matsumoto to Takayama!