I am a Tokyo Resident, I arrived one month ago. A friend is coming during winter Holidays (he arrives the 24th of December). We will go from Tokyo to Hiroshima (the 28th of December), then to Kyoto (the 31st) and finally come back to Tokyo (the 5th of January).
We will use the Shinkansen.
I cannot obtain a JR Pass because I'm a one year resident. But my friend hesitates to take a JR Pass.
Of course it is cheaper, but I know that trains will be crowded during Winter holidays. And if he takes the JR Pass, I cannot take a seat for him before he arrives.
So I'm affraid that all trains for Hiroshima, Kyoto (...) will be full when he comes in December.
I just arrived in Japan and I don't know how Shinkansen works. I asked questions at Tokyo Station but I am not sure the guy understood me...
So I have questions concerning Non Reaserved Seat:
- How do these tickets work: I buy one and I can use it for any trains ? Or I have to select the day ? The train ?
- I know that some trains have a "Non-researved carriage" and some have not. How can I know which trains have a "non-researved carriage" ?
- If many people take a "Non reaserved seat" and they all want the same train, has it already happened that some people are "refused to enter" and have to wait for another train ? Or it never happens ?
- With JR Pass, are these only "Non-Researved seats" we can take ?
I don't care to be standing up during 4 hours. I just want not to lose time: I want to be sure that if I go to the station for a train, I will have it. And I want to be sure to have a train the 28yh, the 31st and the 5th because I have booked my hotels.
That is why, if my friend does not take the Pass, I can take reaserved seats and we will be sure of the "departure time" and the "arrival time".
What do you think I should do ?
- Take a 2 Weeks JR Pass.
Wait until he arrives the 24th and reserve Shinkansen trains for the 28th ? (I will have to change train at Osaka for Hiroshima) and for the other days.
- Take a one week JR Pass.
Reserve a Nuzomi train between Tokyo and Hiroshima (not use the JR Pass). Like that I am sure to have this train.
And use the JR Pass for the journey between Hiroshima and Kyoto and between Kyoto and Tokyo. (Because I will have more time to book these trains)
- Do not take a JR Pass because if I have to wait until the 24th of December there will probably not have trains left for the 28th (between Tokyo -Osaka and Osaka-Hiroshima) and the other days.
Thank you very much.
I apologize if this is not clear.