Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Travel from Narita to hotel in Shinagawa

Can I use the JR Pass to go from Narita to Tokyo Marriott in Shinagawa ?
I plan to visit Osaka, Kyoto, & Nara. Will I be able to use the JR Pass ?

Comments

• Yes to all. You can activate your pass at Narita Airport and take the Narita Express train to Shinagawa Station. From there it is about 10 minute walk south to the hotel. Or, you could pay for a Keikyu train to Kitashinagawa (about 1 minute, 140 yen) which is almost next to the hotel. If you're dead tired and a couple of people with you, you could also take a taxi from Shinagawa Stn (about 600 yen).

Since you are already seeing Tokyo, you can largely skip Osaka during the day. After the temples of Kyoto close down around 5 PM, you can zip over to Osaka for the evening. At night the city comes alive and has some great places to see, such as Dotonbori, plus the night views from the Umeda Sky Bldg and Abeno Harukas Bldg are wonderful.
    On another evening, you could also go and see Kobe.

Nara was also a former capital and has some of Japan's best sights. Nara is often neglected by some tourists, which is a shame. Missing the Todaiji Great Buddha would be a tragedy. Nara Park has a lot of other great places, such as Kasuga Shrine, Kofukuji Temple, and feeding the many deer in the area.

The JR Pass is of limited use in the cities. You can use the pass on the JR Yamanote Line in Tokyo though - and it goes to several popular tourist areas. In Kyoto, you can use it from Kyoto Station down the Nara line to see places like the Fushimi Inari Shrine, Uji City to see the Byodoin Temple and of course Nara (the Todaiji Temple is a must-see), as well as Kyoto's west side to Arashiyama to see many famous places like the Sagano Bamboo Forest, Tenryuji, the Jojakkoji Temple, Gioji, the Adashino Nenbutsuji Temple, and many more. In Osaka you can use the pass on the JR Osaka Loop Line. If interested, there are 500 yen bus day passes for Kyoto and Nara.

You can see previews of some of the best places to see in Japan on:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thejapanfaq/videos

Hope that helps.