Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Please advise what rail pass to purchase.

I will be coming to Japan on November 25 but will only have time to travel and see the sights from From Nov.30-Dec.13.
1) Osaka (to see the castle and also go to USJ)
2) Kyoto (to see Kiyomizudera, Kinkakuji and Fushimiinari)
3) Nikko (to see Toushogu and also go to Tobu World Square)
4) Nagano (to see Zenkoji and other temples)
5) Ichinoseki, Iwate Ken

Which Rail Pass should I buy?

Comments

• Options
    Hello

As you are crossing over several regions the only pass that covers all these areas is the JR national pass that is valid for 7,14 or 21 days. So if you are able to get all your train travel within one of these passes that would be best.

You can use this website, www.hyperdia.com to find the routes. You want to be sure you can access to thes trains for free with a JRPass :
    - In “search details”, unclick “Nozomi, Mizuho, Hayabusa shinkansen” and “private railway”.
    - The search result will show you all the trains you can access with a Japan Rail Pass.

With travel to Nikko, only part of the journey is covered by the Japan Rail Pass, as the line to Nikko is a private railway. You can take a limited express from Tokyo from Shinjuku but you will need to pay a supplement with the JR Pass as some of the track that the trains use is a private track.

Hope that helps

Japan Experience
  • Options
    Just would like to find out, is the JR national pass able to use to travel within any of the regional cities ?
  • Options
    Thank you for the information JAPANEXPERIENCE. You've been a great help.
  • Options
    The JR Pass has limited use for travel within the cities, as you can only use it on JR train lines. The best thing to use is an IC /Pasmo card this can be used in Tokyo and other cities in Japan. You can find information on this card here: https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/pasmocard.

Hope that helps.

Japan Experience.
  • Options
    I would really recommend a 14 day national pass, and also a pasmo card for using subways and buses, and things that are not covered by the j rail pass
  • Options
    Hello, I will arrive in KIX Osaka on the 16 March 2016 at around 9.00 pm. I would like to know if I should purchase a JR Pass from Singapore and if so, which JR train can I catch fastest to Tennoji Station where my hotel is? I would also go to Umeda on most days as well as Namba from Tennoji. I would also be making a day trip to Kyoto on my 3rd day in Osaka and then on the 4th day, I would be leaving via train (any JR train I can take?) to Fukuoka where I will go back to Singapore from Fukuoka. Pls advise if it is worth my while to buy a 7 day JR Pass and if such a pass will take me to the places I mentioned? How much is a 7-day JR Pass or should I buy individual tickets? Your assistance is most appreciated..
  • Options
    Hi

If these are the only journeys that you are making is to Osaka, Kyoto and Fukuoka, it would be cheaper to purchase a pre-paid top up card, one regional and a one way ticket.

From the airport you can purchase a one way ticket into Osaka. Prices for a oneway start from SG$12 (price depends on the train). You can use this website, http://www.hyperdia.com/, to find out prices and schedules.

For travel within Osaka it would be best to use a pre-paid top-up card such as a Pasmo which you can use on the Osaka Metro and local transport.

For your trip to Kyoto the best thing to do would be to purchase a one day Kansai regional pass (SG$25) this will be cheaper than purchasing a return in Japan. You can find information and prices here: https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/pass-regional/kansai/jr-kansai-area-pass/order?currency-code=SGD.

A one way ticket from Osaka to Hakata (Fukuoka) the cost of this ticket would be 15,110 yen / SG$175. Again you can check prices here: www.hyperdia.com.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience
  • Options
    Hello everyone.. I need some advice on what to purchase. My family and I will be traveling to Tokyo Dec 20th.. we will be arriving late at night.. we are planning to travel to Kyoto on the 24th and take day trips from Kyoto to other cities.. going back to Tokyo on Dec 27th to catch our plane on the 28th.

Do you recommend we purchase a JP rail pass and a PASMO card or just a PASMO card? please help.

Dora
  • Options
    Hi Dora

The best thing for your itinerary would be to get the JR Pass for 7 days. A 7 day JR Pass costs about the same amount as a return ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto. So if you are planning to travel when you are in Kyoto this would be the cheapest option for you.

As you are traveling for 8 days and arriving late on the first night you may not be able to exchange your pass to use for the first night. It really depends how late you arrive. However you can activate it the next day and use it to return to the airport on the 28th. You can find the opening times of the JR exchange offices here: https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/common-questions/where-to-activate-japan-rail-pass

The JR Pass is most useful for travel between major cities, for travel within cities on the local transport the IC cards are best (such as the Pasmo). These can be used on the Tokyo Metro, and is the best way to get around, and you can top them up as you go.

Hope that answers your questions.

Best regards

Japan Experience
  • Options
    Hi I would like to enquire as we will be travelling to Japan in April 2016 and I would like to know if our itinerary requires JR Pass

From Tokyo
    Kanazawa (2 days; Matsumoto Castle, etc)
    Takayama ( 3 days; Kamikochi, etc)
    Kyoto ( 3 days ; Nijo Castle, Imperial Palace, Fushimi, Kibune)
    Himeji Castle then back to Tokyo

Thanks
    Jaycee
  • Options
    Hi Jaycee

The JR Pass would be the cheapest option for you. However this depends on your itinerary and amount of days traveling. You can find out the train fares here, www.hyperdia.com, and work out if it would be cheaper for you to get a 7 day JR Pass then a one way from Kyoto or if a 14 day pass would be best.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience
  • Options
    Hi, I will be arriving in Tokyo on 23 Mar and will be traveling to Osaka on 24 Mar and thereafter to Kyoto and going back to Osaka. Thereafter, i will depart back to tokyo. Is it recommended for me to purchase the JR Pass? Which are the rail network / Bus network or Subway that is not covered by the JR Pass? What is the recommended pass to get?
  • Options
    Hi,
    I will be arriving Osaka on Dec 31st 2015 and will be travelling to Kyoto, and Hakuba then Tokyo. We will be spend ~10days in Japan. Can you please advice what pass should I get? There will be 7 people traveling together (5 adult and 2 kids)
  • Options
    Hi,

I will be leaving to Japan on this coming Spring. Would like to get some advice whether to purchase the JR Kansai Wide area pass.

I will be arriving to
    a) Kansai Airport and leaving straight to Kyoto for 2 night
    b)follow by Kinosaki for a night stay
    c) and coming back to Osaka 4 night

Joyce
  • Options
    Hi,

I will be arriving in Kansai Airport on the 12th April 2016 and I will be travelling to Kyoto, Kobe, Takayama and Shirakawa-go and back to Osaka for 3 days. Which pass do you recommend for my stay? Also, if I'm not able to exchange my pass on the day I arrive at Kansai Airport, where else can I exchange it? Can you please advise which pass to get!
    Thank you.

Regards,
    Eileen
  • Options
    Hi Eileen

For Kyoto, Takayama, Shirakawa-go and Osaka you can use the Takayama-Hokuriku Pass. However this is only valid for 5 days and does not include the train between Nagoya. You can find more information on this pass here: https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/pass-regional/central/takayama-hokuriku-tourist-pass. However this pass would not cover your travel from Kyoto to Kobe, the cost of this one way is 1,080 yen.

If 5 days is not enough for your travel to all these places you may want to consider the 7 day JR Pass as this is only pass that would cover all these areas. You can find a list and opening times for the exchange offices here: https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/common-questions/where-to-activate-japan-rail-pass.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience