Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Advice on Japan Rail Pass required

My husband and I will be traveling to Japan for the first time.
I would appreciate some advice/ guidance regarding what would be the best rail pass to get?
Any suggestion for itinerary is also appreciated!

Day 1 (Tokyo): arrived Tokyo
Day 2: visit meiji shrine, yoyogi park, shibuya, shinjuku, golden gai
Day 3: tsukiji market, ginza, Akihabara
Day 4: asakusa, Kappabashi, odaiba
Day 5: Yokoamicho Park, Ueno, Roppongi Hills
Day 6: Day trip to Nikko

Day 7 (Kyoto): Day trip to Hakone and head to Kyoto
Day 8: Nijo Castle, Kyoto Imperial Palace
Day 9: Kinkakiju, Fushimi Inari

Day 10 (Osaka): Todaiji Temple, Nara Park and head to Osaka
Day 11: Glico Man, Osaka Tower
Day 12: Home from Osaka

Should I get the regional pass or JR rail pass?

Comments

• Options
    I've the almost similar situation, do I need to purchase a national pass to travel from region to region, and purchase a separate regional pass to travel within the region
  • Options
    Hello

If you are only planning these trips you can use the Pasmo Card to travel around Tokyo, you can also use this card in Kyoto and Osaka. Then purchase a one way from Narita airport / Haneda into Tokyo.

For the regional passes it sometimes is cheaper and easier to just purchase a national JR Pass but you need to work out your itinerary and check the prices for your journeys on this website here: www.hyperdia.com.

As you are not travelling to back to Tokyo for your flight there are two options you can either purchase oneway tickets in Japan and regional pass for travel in between Kyoto and Osaka or a 7 day JR Pass that you can validate on your first journey to Nikko. There isn't much in the price, but the JR Pass will allow more freedom, if you choose to visit other places during your trip.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience