Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Osaka to Tokyo

Hi
I am contemplating getting a JR pass for my coming 8 day trip covering Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. However, I understand that the JR Pass has some limitations in that it does not cover travel on subway and certain shinkansen routes (like the Nozomi and the Mizuho Shinkansen). My more significant travel by rail would be the trip from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo's Shinagawa station as I will be staying at Shinjuku. Am I right that this Shinkansen route (Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Nozomi) will not be covered by the JR Pass? If so, there seems to be little savings for my itinerary. Would be grateful for your advice. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Hello

It really depends on your itinerary if a JR Pass would be the most economical way to travel around Japan. If you are only making a oneway journey from Osaka to Tokyo then it would be cheaper to purchase a one way ticket when you are in Japan. This will cost 14,250 yen for this journey.

However if you are traveling from Tokyo to Osaka, Osaka to Kyoto then back to Tokyo it will be cheaper to purchase a 7 day JR Pass.

For the train journey from Osaka to Shinagawa you can't use the Nozomi train on this route but you can use the Hikari train on this route, with the JR Pass.

Visit hyperdia.com:
    - In search conditions, write the departure and arrival location.
    - The search will provide you a fare for this journey.
    - Do the same for all your trips by train.
    - Just compare with the price of a 7 day JR Pass 7.
    (Check the price here : http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/)

You want to be sure, you can access to this train with a JRPass :
    - In “search details”, unclick “Nozomi, Mizuho, Hayabusa shinkansen” and “private railway”.
    - The search result will show you all the trains you can access with a Japan Rail Pass.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience