Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Reserved and Non-reserved train rides

Hi,
For non-reserved train ride, do I need to go to the departing station to make seats reservation prior to boarding? or I can just wait at designated train platform for boarding? Please advise.

Thank you and regards.

Comments

• Hi,

From Shinagawa to Osaka, with the Japan rail pass do we need to pay any additional fees if we travel on Hikari shinkansen? please advise.

Thank you and regards
  • Hello

The Japan Rail Pass allows you to travel in unreserved and reserved carriage free of charge (as long as it's a train valid for use with the JR Pass). Some trains are reserve only, so you will need to reserve these, like the Narita Express for example. Other trains like the shinkansen do have unreserved carriages, which means you can take the train without having to go to the ticket office.

However if you are catching a Shinkansen during peak hours (between 7 am and 9 am and 6 pm-8 pm), and during bank holidays, you will need to book your seat. If you are not traveling during these times then you can use any non-reserved seat by showing your Japan Rail Pass.

The Hikari Shinkansen is covered by the Japan Rail Pass, so you will not need to pay an additional fee.

Hope that helps

Best regards

Japan Experience
  • Hi, thanks very much for the info.
  • Hi, I will be traveling to Japan in Dec. Just wondering if it is better to do advance purchase of ticket for express train? Can I buy only when I am in Japan as I am not sure of my itinerary yet and do not wish to pay for cancellation charges.

Example:-
    I will be taking Keikyu from Haneda Airport to Shibuya.

Then on another day, Narita Express to Narita Airport. * Also, is the earliest train at 6.01am? as I need to be at the airport as early as I can given my Jetstar Japan flight departs at 9am.

Haruka Express from Kansai Airport, Osaka to Kyoto.

And from Kyoto back to Tokyo by Shinkasen.

I can use JR Pass for all of the above places right?

Is there many timings for the train and is it ok to buy only when I arrive in Japan or when I want to travel on the day itself? Afraid of no ticket or seats, is it possible?

Thanks!
  • Hello

If you are wanting to purchase one way tickets for your journeys you can only do this once you are in Japan.

If you are planning to purchase a JR Pass you can only make reservations in Japan, when you have exchanged the voucher for the pass. But depending on how long you are traveling for it maybe best to purchase a one way ticket from Kyoto to Tokyo if this is the main journey you are planning.

This website, www.hyperdia.com, is very convenient way to calculate if a Japan Rail Pass is worth buying in your case and to know which length is most cost-effective for your travel.

You want to be sure you can access to the trains for free with a Japan Rail Pass :
    - In “search details”, unclick “Nozomi, Mizuho, Hayabusa Shinkansen” and “private railway”.
    - The search result will show you all the trains you can access with a Japan Rail Pass.

Yes the first Narita Express Train from Shibuya is 6:01. You can check on their timetable here: http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/english/wb/common/timetable/e_nex_d/index.html

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience
  • Hi! I tried to do online booking for the Haruka Limited Express from Kansai Airport to Kyoto on the 19th Dec 15 but was not able to. Any idea why? Is it I can only purchase upon arrival in Japan? Can reserve online using JR Pass? Mine is a general JR Pass.

Secondly, tried to book Shinkansen from Kyoto back to Tokyo on the 20th Dec. I am also not able to do online booking. Why?

Hope you can help. Thanks!
  • Hi,

That's because it is not possible to reserve online. The only website that allows reservations with the JR Pass is the JR East Website. For all other reservations, you will need to do this once in Japan.
  • I see..ok thanks! Hopefully I am able to get a seat when I reserve in Japan upon arrival then. :)