Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

21 Day Rail Pass Or Not?

I will arrive in NRT on April 27 and Fly to Hiroshima same day and spend 3 days in Kure. After that, here's how the rest of my stay goes:

May 1: Shinkansen from Hiroshima to Kyoto
May 3: Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo
May 7: Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nasu-Shiobara
May 10: Shinkansen from Nasu-Shiobara to Tokyo
May 17: Shinkansen from Tokyo to NRT

While in Tokyo I will of course be using the train probably every day. I know how to use a Pasmo card. It is also possible that - while in Tokyo - I may take a side trip to Hakone or someplace like that in the Kanto area.

As I am of an advanced age and be carrying luggage, I will require the green car on all of the shinkansen rides (maybe not on the Hakone trip if I go there).

Is it worth it for me to get a 21 day rail pass? Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2016
    The total fare in an Ordinary Car for these trips combined is roughly $338.00 US with the cost of a 21 day JR Rail pass being $478.00 Purchasing a 21 Day JR Rail Pass would not be worth it unless you took at least another long length trip by shinkansen and used it quite a lot for local JR trains.
    Since you would be using the Green Car Pass ($653) it would make even less sense to buy a JR Rail Pass.
    Also keep in mind that the train from Tokyo to Narita airport is the JR Narita Express (NEX) and not a shinkansen.
    The Pasmo card is very convenient when using the subway and other trains not covered by the rail pass, it can also be used to purchase goods at many stores like a credit card.
  • Options
    Thank you very much. Since I will be riding in the green car regardless on the routes mentioned above, I am interested in knowing the total fare for the green car on these routes, without a rail pass. That would provide me with a more accurate evaluation.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    If you traveled by Green Car on the shinkansen (no Green Car on NEX) the additional cost is just $101 US total for the upgrades.
    In other words; if you paid cash for each ticket you would spend approximately $439 US but the 21 Day JR Rail Pass for the Green Car will cost you $653 US
  • Options
    OK Got it - thanks very much.