Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

What Type of Pass Should I Get?

Hi,

Day 1 - Tokyo
Staying near JR Kamata station & will need to travel on JR line to get to Asakusa station & Harajuku station. Do they sell 1 day JR East Pass? Coz I don't want to get the 5 Days Flex Pass as i'll only be in Tokyo for 1 day.

Day 2-9 - Hakkaido
Fly from Tokyo to Hakodate. 1 day travel in Hakodate, 2 days travel in Sapporo. Rest of the days will travel to & back to Noboribetsu, Ashikawa, Furano & Otaru from Sapporo. Do I get the 5 days JR Hokkaido Pass or 7 days JR Hokkaido Pass? Can the pass be used for subway/metro, trams or buses?

Or should I get the JR Pass to travel in Tokyo & Hokkaido? If I get the JR Pass Ordinary & don't book a seat. When the unreserved seats are full, does it mean I have to wait for the next train? I'm travelling during Golden week so i'm worried about the crowds..

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

I wouldn't recommend getting a pass while you're in Tokyo. It's cheaper to just pay as you you go. A 7-day JR Hokkaido Pass would be excellent value for money for you, however.

A JR pass can't be used on subways, but it can be used on JR train lines, JR Hokkaido buses within Sapporo and JR Hokkaido Express buses between Sapporo-Otaru (Chuo buses are not included).

When reserved and unreserved seats are full on the shinkansen, it IS still possible to ride the train if you must. You'll just have to stand until a seat becomes available. Be prepared for this during Golden Week!

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Japan Experience