Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

JR PASS - from Tokyo to Kyoto

Hi,

I would like to check regarding the JR pass, I will in Japan from 30mar to 12Apr. Assume I will buying 14 Days national JR Pass

Travel to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Himeji and return back to Tokyo

4Apr I will be traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto, but JR pass do not cover Nozomi train and it is valid on Hikari and Kodama trains. I do not understand how this works where I able to find schedule for Nozomi train goes to Kyoto but I cant find any schedule for Hikari train from Tokyo to Kyoto.

Appreciate your help on this, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

My apology I had miss out the travel date, I repost will clearer picture.

I would like to check regarding the JR pass, I will in Japan from 30mar to 11Apr. I'm not sure to buy 7 days or 14 Days JR Pass

30 Mar to 03 Apr - Tokyo
    04 Apr to 09 Apr - Kyoto/Osaka/Nara
    10 Apr to 11 Apr - Himeji and back to Tokyo

4Apr I will be traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto by shinkansen, but JR pass do not cover Nozomi train and it is valid on Hikari and Kodama trains. I do not understand how this works where I able to find schedule for Nozomi train goes to Kyoto but I cant find any schedule for Hikari train from Tokyo to Kyoto.

Appreciate your help on this, thanks.
  • Options
    Dear COLOLUS

Yes you can use the Hikari and the Kodama shinkansen with the JR Passes. You can use this website, www.hyperdia.com, to find the schedules for the days that you need to travel. To be sure you can use the JR Pass you need to untick the boxes in the search options for Nozomi and private railways. The results will then show you the routes you can use.

If you can get all your travel in 7 days you could get a 7 day JR Pass. If you activate your pass on your first journey to Kyoto on the 4th April then you could use it to get back to Tokyo on the 10th April. The JR Pass isn't very useful for travel in Tokyo, and is best to use a Pasmo card for this part of your trip. The Pasmo card can also be used on local transport in other major cities.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience
  • Options
    many thanks for your information.