Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

13 days trip around - worth to have 14days JR pass?

Hello japan Experience!
It would be very helpful if you could suggest me what's best for me.
I plan to have a 13 days trip in central japan over Christmas period
The itinerary includes
Landing Osaka Kensai
>travel to Tokyo by train
> stay in Tokyo 4 days
> travel to Yudanaka (near Nagano)
> travel to Matsumoto
> travel by bus to Takayama
> travel to Kobe
> travel t o Kyoto
> stay in Kyoto 4 days
> day trip to Nara
>travel to Osaka Kensai
Would you suggest to do the Jr 14 days pass or singular tickets every time?
Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Hello Ale_vane, thanks for reaching out to us.

It seems like you are going be traveling all over Japan during those two weeks! There will be at least two trips on a bullet train (Kansai Airport to Tokyo, Tokyo to Nagano, Nagoya to Kyoto) and some travel on limited express trains (Takayama to Nagoya on your way to Kyoto). Those tickets will definitely add up!

It is most likely worth it to get a 14-day pass. If you would like to make some exact calculations, the website Hyperdia.com is really helpful for this. This website can be a little daunting at first so we have made a simple page and video to show you how to use it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzI3Fx3s-pg

- In search conditions, put in the departure and arrival locations, these will auto-fill so you have to wait until you can click on the correct station. Input your requested departure or arrival date and time.
    - In “SearchDetails”, unclick “NOZOMI / MIZUHO /HAYABUSA (SHINKANSEN)” and “Private Railway”.
    - The search results will show you all the trains you can use with a Japan Rail Pass. You don't need to worry about the fare as you have nothing to pay when using the pass.

*If you don’t find your train, it means it’s a train run by a private company (not included in your JR Pass), in that case, click again on “Private Railway” and see the new results.
    *If you click on “Interval Timetable” under the train type, you will see the complete daily schedule for all the trains running this route.

http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/japan-by-rail/hyperdia
  • Options
    Hi Japan Experience,
    very useful suggestion,
    Thank you so much!