Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Single JR tickets or 4-day west/ 7-day Passes?

Hi!
I would greatly appreciate if you could help me with the following information:

• May I buy single (regular or 1st class) JR tickets at Okinawa to use the JR from Hiroshima-Kobe, stay 1 day in Okaka and 1 day in Kyoto? We’ll be in Okinawa Dec 25 & 26. Would I find JR tickets for the busy holiday days for 4 passengers? Or is it better to buy them from the USA now? From the US I see only the 4-day or 7-day passes available.

• There is a West Sanyo Area Pass for 4 days for $189 per person (http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/pass-regional/sanyo/jr-sanyo-area-pass/order) that I can buy only from outside Japan for foreigners. Would this a good deal so I can use it from Hiroshima to Osaka on Dec29 (perhaps make a couple of stops such in Kobe and another town) and then to Kyoto on Dec30? That way, I can use the JR system to sightseeing in Hiroshima, Osaka and Kyoto (from 28 to 31st). Or would it be more economical to buy one-way single JR tickets between the cities and then use subway, train and buses to sightsee in Osaka and Kyoto?

• If I buy the Sanyo area pass, may I upgrade to first class for the trip from Hiroshima to Osaka?

• I was thinking of buying the 7day JR pass to take advantage of the rail system from Kyoto to Tokyo on Dec31st and within Tokyo and nearby towns to do sightseeing Jan 1st to 5th and going to Haneda Airport on Jan 6th (instead of buying 1day tours which are very expensive). Will it be more economical to buy the 7day JR pass or do they have a 1-day all we can use within Tokyo a and vicinity –perhaps up to Mt Fuji, Yokohama, etc? We’ll go back to the Tokyo hotel every night (Suitengumae Station).

Thank you, very much!
Elsa

Comments

• Dear Elsa,

Thanks for posting.

To answer your questions:

- Okinawa does not have any JR lines, which unfortunately means there are no JR train stations at which to purchase tickets.

- The Sanyo pass is indeed a good deal if you are making many stops along the Sanyo shinkansen. $189 is about the cost of two bullet train rides. It may unfortunately be difficult to upgrade to Green Class, however.

- To check exactly how economical different rail passes will compared to individual tickets, we recommend using a website called Hyperdia (hyperdia.com), which has train schedules and ticket prices.

This website can be a little daunting at first so we have made a simple page and video to show you how to use it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzI3Fx3s-pg

- In search conditions, put in the departure and arrival locations, these will auto-fill so you have to wait until you can click on the correct station. Input your requested departure or arrival date and time.
    - In “SearchDetails”, unclick “NOZOMI / MIZUHO /HAYABUSA (SHINKANSEN)” and “Private Railway”.
    - The search results will show you all the trains you can use with a Japan Rail Pass. You don't need to worry about the fare as you have nothing to pay when using the pass.

*If you don’t find your train, it means it’s a train run by a private company (not included in your JR Pass), in that case, click again on “Private Railway” and see the new results.
    *If you click on “Interval Timetable” under the train type, you will see the complete daily schedule for all the trains running this route.
    http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/japan-by-rail/hyperdia
  • This information has been very helpful! Thank you, very much!