Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

advice for rwc travel

Hi looking for advice
first time in japan with wife and 17 yo son
coming for rwc for 22 nights end of sept
fly to narita 2 nights in Tokyo then to fukuoka 2 nights then oita for 11 nights
then Osaka for 2 nights, a trek (kumono kodo) for 3 nights then Tokyo for 3nights
question is should I get the japan rail pass for our family or piece meal it together (seems like cost is better to buy the 21 day pass)
looks like I will be one day over the 21 day pass so should I get it the first day and bus back to airport or bus from airport at start and finish with the pass?
any other thoughts on travel etc
thanks for help

Comments

• Hi,
    You would make a 21 day pass pay off, but going from Tokyo to Fukuoka in one shot is going to nearly kill a whole day. Since you will be in Japan more than 21 days, you could take the bus either at the start or finish, but at Narita there is often a long line of people trying to get their pass activated, so you might just take the 1000 yen bus from the airport.
    Aside from the rwc 11 days in Oita is way too much, so take some trips with that time. Definitely try some hot springs like Beppu, Yufuin, or Kurokawa. There are some great places in the area, but for some, renting a car would be ideal.