Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

also need some advice on best JR Pass(es)

Hi to all,

you are giving good advices here, so i decide to ask for your help also

Trip plan is following
Day 1 arrival haneda/ stay near shinjuku
Day 2 day trip Nikko
Day 3+4 over night Kawaguchiko and back to Shinjuku
These days are planned to be covered by Tokyo wide pass
Day 5 Day trip to kamakura /Enoshima pass
Day 6+7 Yudanaka starting JR 21 day Pass
Day 8+9Takayama
Day 10 Hiroshima
Day 11+12 Miyajima
Day 13 Hiroshima
Day 14-15 Osaka ( with stop in Himeji)
Day 15+16 Koyasan (need koyasan pass)
Day 17 - 21 Kyoto with day trip to Nara
Day 22-25 Tokyo
Day 26 departure

I read that Naganao yudanaka is not covered by JR Pass, is that right?
For inner city trips i plan to take Suica card, to avoid having to pay cash all times.

I would apreciate if you could give your suggestions.

Best regards
Sylvana

Comments

• Options
    Hello, Sylvana!

Your choice of passes is fine and the 21-day pass pays off. You still have to pay the fares for the non-JR line serving Nagano-Yudanaka.

I have a suggestion related to your itinerary. Going from Takayama all the way to Hiroshima would take over 6 hours. I think you should instead consider doing your Osaka/Koyasan leg before Hiroshima (and not after). You would then stop at Himeji on your way to Kyoto.

This change would divide your travel time between cities more evenly.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Hi,
    If you plan to go see the snow monkeys, look into getting a Snow Monkey Pass which can save on the non-JR transport and entrance fee.

You could use a Suica card although there is no savings from it - just some convenience. If you want to save money, in Tokyo there is a good 2-3 day subway pass.
    http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html#anc03

Within Hiroshima, there is a loop bus you can use that is covered by the JR Pass.
    In Kyoto there is a 500 yen bus day pass that can save you some money. Same thing in Nara but most of the best places are in the Nara Park area. And of course you can use the JR Pass for the JR ferry to Miyajima.
    You could possibly spend 2 full days in Hiroshima, but you really don't need to. Instead, you might branch out to see Iwakuni, which is really nice with its iconic bridge and mountaintop castle, as well as to Onomichi with its temple tour and wildly ornate Kosanji Temple. You can see a lot of previews of the places you plan to visit on:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thejapanfaq/videos
  • Options
    Wow, Thanks a lot to both of you.
    Yes the 6 hours is long indeed, and i am still working on breaking that down. actually i was thinking about staying in Kobe...since the train stops the also.
    The suica card was really meant to make things easy, since it also works in other cities, bu i will indeed consider the metroday pass.
    @Tenjin, thanks for the links. i will consider, even though we will need one or two days without plan, just to relax and be able to take it all in:-)) and probably catch up with some sleep...
    You are really helpfull.
    Best regards
    Sylvana
  • Options
    Me again.. I am still not sure whether the Tokyo wide pass is valid 3 days, meaning calender day, or is t like 72 hours?
  • Options
    Just found the answer in another post:-)) 3 calendar days it is...