Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Need Advice on Planning Trip to Japan

Hi,

This is my first free and easy trip in Japan with my friend. Have many unaswered questions of JR Pass and locations details. Can you advise if this planning below will work well especially the JR route taken.

APR 17 – SINGAPORE-TOKYO(NARITA/HANEDA)
APR 18 – TOKYO- OSAKA
Travel from Tokyo to Osaka - 3-4 hrs by Shikansen
Question: We intend to travel by Shikansen to Osaka City? Is Shikansen part of JR Pass – How long is the journey? Is this the fastest way to travel from Tokyo to Osaka. I am not sure if it is better to stay Osaka or Kyoto as our next destination is Toyama heading for the Alphine Route. Your advise pls?

APR 19 - OSAKA/KYOTO/NARA
Sightseeing at Kyoto.
Question: What JR Rail to travel between Osaka/Kyoto/Nara. How long is the travelling time. Is 2 days enough to cover these 3 areas.. Is there more things to see in Osaka than Kyoto? Do we still need to purchase any transport pass to travel within these 3places.

APR 20 – OSAKA/NARA
SightSeeing at Osaka/Nara

APR 21 - KYOTO- TOYAMA
Question: I know that there is JR Thunderbird Train from Osaka Station to Toyama. Is this the best option to travel. Is there other JR train from Kyoto to Toyama.

To take the Alpine tour route, which part of Toyama should we stay. Any good accommodation recommendation?

APR 22 – TOYAMA ALPHINE ROUTE.

APR 23 - TOYAMA/TAKAYAMA/SHIRAKAWA-GO
Question: What JR transport do we use to travel from Toyama to Takayams/Shirakawa-Go for a one day tour.

APR 24 – TOYAMA-TOKYO
Question: Best way to travel from Toyama to Tokyo City. Which Shinkansen? How long is the traveling time.

APR 25 - TOKYO
If we want to goto Yokohama, how long does it take? Which JR Station to alight.

APR 26 – TOKYO- SINGAPORE

Would appreciate if you can give me what JR route is the best option for the planning given. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

The Japan Rail Pass covers all JR Group Railways Shinkansen trains (except for Nozomi and Mizuho), limited express trains, express trains, and rapid or local trains (with some exceptions).

To get from Tokyo to Osaka you can take the Shinkansen Hikari to Shin-Osaka station, which will take 3 hours. From there you can travel via a JR line, or local metro if needed to, to get to your final destination.

Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara are all very close to each other, with several trains allowing you to travel between these locations. From Kyoto to Osaka is 30 minutes, and Osaka to Nara is 50 minutes. All of these journeys will be covered with your JR Pass. Kyoto is a very big area, so out of the three, you may want to spend more time there.

From Kyoto to Toyama you can take the JR Thunderbird limited express, and that will take just under 3 hours. Then from Toyama to Takayama there is a limited express (90 minutes).

The easiest way to travel from Takayama to Shirakawa-go will be via the Nouhi bus. It will take a lot less time than to go by train, which has no direct route. Please take a look at the Nouhi Bus website for bus fares and bus schedules:

http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/shirakawago_kanazawa.html

From Toyama to Tokyo take the Limited Express Hakutaka to Echigo-Yuzawa, and change for the shinkansen Toki which will take you straight to Tokyo. And finally Tokyo to Yokohama is a 20-30 minute journey, with several JR train options to take you there.

If you would like any other information on train routes and times, please have a look at www.hyperdia.com for itineraries.

We hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy your time in Japan.

Kind regards,

Japan Experience