Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Is The JR Pass Worth It For My Trip?

Hi,

I'm planning on staying in Japan for 3 weeks.
My trip will include Tokyo (5 days), Kyoto (5 days), Osaka (4 days), Nara (2 days) and finally back to Tokyo.
I was wondering if the JR Pass is suitable for my trip, as opposed to buying individual tickets.
Also, I'd like to ask if the JR Pass can be used locally in each city/town.

I would greatly appreciate any responses/advice on this,

Thanks!

- Jacky C.

Comments

• Hi,
    You'd need a 14 day pass for your plans, and that would not pay off for what you want to do.
    If you are willing to add some day trips, then you could make a 14 day pass worth it.
    You could do it easily with a day trip from Kansai to Hiroshima/Miyajima, and you can see most of the best in a full day with an early morning start.
    You can also see some other places, like Himeji near Osaka, or closer to Tokyo there is Nikko, Karuizawa, Izu, and Kusatsu.
    If you don't want to do any of those, then it is cheaper to buy regular fare tickets.

You can see previews of some of the best places to see in Japan on:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thejapanfaq/videos
  • edited June 2017
    Hello.

You were asking if JR Pass could be used locally in each city/town.

Well you certainly could, but JR won't always be the most convenient alternative. In fact, it usually isn't. There are also subways, trams, buses, etc. and inner city trips shouldn't factor heavily to determine if the pass is cost effective.
  • Thank you so much for your help, it's made a lot of things much more clear to me! I think I will end up buying regular fare tickets which will definitely save me a lot of money.

Thanks again!

-Jacky C.