Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Tokyo to Sapporo

Hi, i am currently researching possible routes by train up to sapporo from tokyo. I understand i will have to take 3 trains namely - tohoku Shinkansen (hayabusa) - hakucho limited express- Jr hokuto.

1.Would you be able to advise me on which lines the JR Rail Pass covers and which it does not?.

2. Can reservations be made on all 3 trains with and without the JR Rail Pass ?

3. Whether i should consider the JR rail Pass for this Trip or would buying one way tickets be a better option.

Thank you for your help in advance!.

Yean

Comments

• Options
    The Japan Rail Pass covers all shinkansen, except for Nozomi and Mizuho, as well as express and limited express trains. So you will be covered for this trip. In terms of whether or not you should buy it, I think it's a good idea, as Tokyo and Sapporo are very far away from each other, so the train ticket will be expensive. Especially if you plan on returning to Tokyo after. I would suggest checking prices on www.hyperdia.com and comparing against the price of a JRP.
  • Options
    Hi,

I'd appreciate it if we can get advice for our Japan Trip.

We (parents and 3 children age17,16 and 9 y.o) are going to Tokyo for days on the 8/12/15, arriving at Nakata and staying at Ikebukora Toshima-ku Tokyo. We'll be just traelling around Tokyo.

We then fly to South Korea for 10 days.

We'll be back to Osaka on the 23/12/15.
    Then we'll trvavel to:
    - Kyoto on 24-26/12/15,
    - Hiroshima on 26-28/12/15
    - Kawaguchi-Ko (Mt Fuji Area) on 28-30/12/15
    - Tokyo on 30/12/15 - 1/1/16.
    - Hakuba 1/1/16 - 5/1/16
    - Tokyo 5/1/16-7/1/16
    - Fly out from Nakita.

I'm planning to get Posmo pass to travel around Tokyo.
    Then buy 7-day JR Pass to travel from Kyoto (26/12/15) onwards.

Unless the JR Pass covers Hakuba as well, then I'll buy 14 days pass instead.

Thank you for your assistance,
    Rose

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Sorry, we are staying in Tokyo for 5 days on the 8/12/15 before going to S. Korea.
  • Options
    Hi

For your travel in Tokyo it's best to use a Pasmo card as the JR Pass is not very useful for travel within cities. You can also use this on local transport within other cities such as Kyoto and Osaka.

The JR Pass will cover Hakuba so it would be best to use get the 14 day pass otherwise it will not cover your whole trip. It would be cheaper to do it this way as well. As you are traveling over various regions.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I recommend the airplane, it's cheapest and fast.
  • Options
    The train is a much better way of seeing and experiencing the country. Especially if your on holiday you want to take the time and not rush around, and spend time most of the time in airport lounges for check-in. It's not usually cheaper either.

The trains in Japan are amazing. A trip to Japan wouldn't be complete without a trip on the bullet train!