Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Kyoto to Tokyo on Dec 31

Hello,
I can’t find a hotel on Dec31st in Tokyo, so we might just travel during that night from Kyoto to Tokyo in a regular train (first class –not necessarily bullet train -so we could sleep in the train). Will the trains operate on the night of Dec31st and early am of Jan 1st?

The train tickets that I found for dec 31 are very expensive. Would it be better then to have the 7-day pass considering that I'm starting my travel in Hiroshima to Osaka and Kyoto (Dec 29 to 31) -then from Kyoto to Tokyo and stay in Tokyo until the Jan6th?

Thank you!
Elsa

Comments

• Dear Elsa,

Thank you for writing to us.

Indeed December 31st is the most important day of the year in Japan, and hotels, trains, restaurants, and temples alike are all packed with people.

Although many local trains run throughout the night on New Year's Eve in Japan, it does not seem that the shinkansen runs all night.

Have you considered searching for accommodations located just outside Tokyo city in the suburbs (which would be accessible by the all-night trains)?
  • Thank you for this information. It is very helpful. I found a hotel in Nagoya, so I could back to Kyoto for a second day.