Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Questions about 1st class Pass

Hello!

I'm planning on buying "7day Nationwide Pass 1st class" for Dec29 to Jan4. I think that besides the comfort of the Green Seats, the big advantage is that they might not be as crowded as the ordinary ones during the holidays; however...

1.Do we always have to make reservations for Green Seats?

2.How long in advance do we have make reservations during peak season days? Would it be enough time if we make the reservations early am for the late-pm return same day?

3. Besides making reservations at the station, can we do it online same day?

4.If we miss a train that has our reservations, can we just take the ordinary train if we hold the 1st class 7day Pass?

Your answers are very helpful! So, thank you!!!
Elsa

Comments

• Options
    Hi Elsa
    We were visiting during last November 19 cities with Green and Ordinary Pass. I can answer most questions by lived experience:
    1. The Green Pass always need Seat Reservation
    2. We made reservations three days in advance. When we made changes on the same day, we had to travel in unreserved seats wagon, very busy,
    3. We made reservations at the station. If you already have defined path, we recommend getting the Ticket whole trip.
    4. No. You should always go in Midoriguthi for new Ticket.
    Bon Voyage!
  • Options
    Hi Elsa

You need to book your seat in advance with a Green JRP, this can be done at a JR Station.

During a busy travel period it is usually best to reserve the tickets in advance as much as possible.

If your going to miss your train you've made a reservation you just need to go to the ticket office and make a new reservation. Yes you can travel the ordinary seats with a 'Green Pass'

Hope that helps.

Japan Experience
  • Options
    Again, thank you for your answers!