Day 3: Back to Shinjuku
Day 4: Tokyo city - DIY
Day 5: Tokyo ciyt- DIY
Day 6: MT Fuji -Tour (Package)
Day 7: Depart to Kyoto for 2 nights
Day 8: Kyoto City - DIY
Day 9: Kyoto back to Tokyo
Day 10: Tokyo Narita Airport

on which day is best to activate the JR Pass and purchasing a 7 days pass is a better choice?
From Narita airport to Shinjuku is it better to use Narita express train/Limousine bus or activate the JR Pass?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Comments

• You can make a 7 day JR Pass pay off by going from Tokyo down to Kyoto and back, plus using the Narita Express at least once. You could not use the N'Ex twice with your 10 day trip, so instead you have a few choices.
    The cheapest way is the 1000 yen bus:
    http://accessnarita.jp/en/home/
    You could also pay for the N'Ex to Shinjuku, or take the Orange limousine bus. It depends on how much baggage you have and where you're staying. The limousine bus (3100 yen per adult) goes to many top class tourist hotels, and if you're staying in one, it's door to door. Otherwise it's catch a train or taxi or walk to your exact hotel. Not enough info, so you need to check and decide for yourself.
    Another option is also the japanican ticket which comes up cheaper
    http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/
    as well as throws in a free day of Kyoto transportation and allows you to get to Kyoto 30 minutes faster by taking the fastest bullet train, the Nozomi. But the N'Ex is not included of course, so you'd need to pay both ways or the 1000 yen bus or limousine bus.
    To make your time in Kyoto worthwhile, I'd return to Tokyo in the evening of Day 9 since there's so much to see, and by all means take at least half a day and go see Nara as well - it has some of Japan's best sights, most in the Nara Park area.
  • May I know travel by Narita Express from Narita Airport Terminal 1 to Shinjuku station, is run by which train line(Chuo/Saikyo/Yamanote line) all alight and come out from the same gate in Shinjuku?

• The line runs down the Sōbu Main Line and Narita Line. The official page gives everything you'd want to know about it:
    http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/
  • I have 5 of us traveling to Japan in October. We arrive in Narita, then staying with a friend for one night in Hachioji. Here's my plan:
    Oct. 5 - Arrive at Narita (stay over Hachioji)
    Oct 6 -10- Bullet train to Kyoto
    Oct. 10-11 - Hiroshima.
    Oct. 11 Back to Hachioji.
    Oct 11 - 17 Tokyo and surrounding areas.
    Do you think it's too long to travel back from Hiroshima to Hachioji in one day? I have 3 middle school age boys, I don't want to wear them out too much. I'm planning to use 7 day rail pass. Thanks for your advice!
  • Hello, Julie!

You could always split your time in Kyoto (do Kyoto-Hiroshima-Kyoto), so that on the day you return to Hachioji, you're doing it from Kyoto. The drawback is an extra day of changing hotels and carrying luggage.

Either way, you HAVE to return to Tokyo within seven days, so not a lot of options there. What you're doing is not unheard of.
  • Hi,
    The best connection from Hiroshima to Hachioji would take about 5 hours 20 minutes - that's a pretty long ride. There would be 2-3 transfers along the way. You could do it - maybe stop at one of the transfer points and see something, then get back on the train. Or do the legs on different days as suggested.

In the future, as a suggestion please start a new thread with your question and don't piggyback on someone else's.
  • Ok thank you for your feedback. Sorry I didn't start a new thread - I will the next time! I love this forum!
  • Just for your kind information, I would like to inform you that, is you will be searching for luggage storage around Tokyo, you can go for LuggageBaggageNinja for keeping your luggage on the way in Tokyo.
    I have checked it and it seems quite good and convenient. They have lockers near Tokyo station and have online booking service. You can have a look by LuggageBaggageNinja.