Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Advice on Suitable Passes -26 days in Japan

Hi everyone!
It'll be my first time in Japan in December/January. What passes should I purchase for the following itinerary?

TOKYO (7 nights)
YAMANASHI –FUJIKAWAGUCHIKO (2 nights)
KYOTO (2 nights)
OSAKA (3 nights)
NARA (DAY TRIP)
KOBE (DAY TRIP)
NAGANO –HAKUBA (3 nights)
NAGANO –YAMANOUCHI (3 nights)
YOKOHAMA (3 nights)
TOKYO (3 nights)

Cheers!!
J.

Comments

• Options
    I can't see how any full JR Pass can help you with your itinerary. If you changed your plans a bit, you could make a 14 day pass pay off if you took a day away from Osaka and did a day trip to Hiroshima/Miyajima. You can use it to go down to Kansai and then to Nagano and back to Tokyo.
    Be aware though that beyond Nagano to Yamanouchi the line is not JR so it's not covered by any JR Pass.
    Frankly though, you are putting in 10 nights in Tokyo which is way too much. About 3-4 days are enough and for the rest of your time, some day trips to nearby places would round things out much better. There is Nikko, Kamakura, Kusatsu, Izu, Hakone, and the Boso Peninsula. A Tokyo Wide Pass could save you a lot of money. For the Fuji area look at using some Odakyu passes:
    http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/

Actually, since you are already seeing Tokyo, you can largely skip Osaka during the day - it is mostly a clone of Tokyo. After the temples of Kyoto close down around 5PM, you can zip over to Osaka for the evening. At night the city comes alive and has some great places to see, such as Dotonbori, plus the night views from the Umeda Sky Bldg and Abeno Harukas Bldg are wonderful.
    Instead, you could use that time to see Himeji, with Japan's best castle, as well as Koyasan for a deeply spiritual side to Japan.