Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Which Train Pass will be best?

Is anyone able to provide advice on which rail pass will be best for the following itinerary and what are the best travel options to and from the airport to Tokyo?

17 October 20:30 - We arrive at Narita Airport and need transport to Richmond Hotel Tokyo Suidobashi
18 & 19 October - Sighseeing around Tokyo
20 October - Day Trip to Mt Fuji (organised trip)
21 October - We are travelling to Kyoto
22 October - Sightseeing
23 October - Travel to Sakurajima for the day and travel straight back to Tokyo in the evening
24 October - Sightseeing around Tokyo
25 October - Return to Narita Airport early morning for return flight at 10:45am

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Hi,
    Your idea of going to Sakurajima as a day trip is completely unworkable and unrealistic. It would take you 4½-5 hours by train to get to Kagoshima-chuo Stn from Kyoto, and 7½-8 hours by train to go to Tokyo. You could possibly fly back from Kagoshima to Tokyo (in fact on ANA's Experience Japan fare it's just US$56 and the last flight is around 7:30 PM), but then at best a 7 day pass would barely break even.
  • Hi Tenjin,

I was mistaken the day trip is to Osaka not Sakurajima. I think I got confused with train lines and places. Would you suggest we just pay as we go on the trains? Can you advise the best option for transport from Najita airport to Tokyo?

Thanks for your advice
  • If you go to Kansai from Tokyo and back, plus use the Narita Express even just once (such as Oct 19-25), then a 7 day pass would pay off.

As for getting from Narita when you first arrive, your hotel is not far from Ueno, so taking the Keisei train would make sense. There is also a discount package with 1-2 days of local transport included if you are interested.
    http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/special/index.html

Your hotel is also close to the Koishikawa Korakuen Garden, which you definitely should not miss.
  • Hello, Andrea!

In your situation I wouldn't concern myself with a JR Pass, as I feel it would only limit my transport options in an attempt to make the pass pay off.

Your hotel is in the vicinity of Tokyo Dome. Considering your arrival at night time, I think your best option is to reach Suidobashi Station using JR lines.

You should be able to get out of migration and customs by around 21:30. If you are not delayed, I suggest going to the JR counter and getting a N'EX TOKYO Round Trip Ticket.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_round.html

The last Narita Express service departs at 21:44 from Terminal 1. You need to transfer at Tokyo Station. Climb the escalators to reach the surface level and find the Chuo Line bound for Toyoda on Platform 1. Remember to disembark at Suidobashi and walk to your hotel.

If you happen to miss the last N'EX service, don't despair. At 22:16 there is a cheaper commuter service bound for Tokyo Station on the JR Narita Line.
  • Thank you Faiyez and Tenjin. I will definitely put koishikawa korakuen gardens. :smile: