Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Will a 7 day pass work

Hello,

I will be traveling to Japan at the end of the year. I will arrive on Dec. 27th and leave on Jan. 7th. I am planning on going to Kyoto on the 28th - 31st. With a side trip to Hiroshima on the 29th. Will The 7 day pass be a good choice? How does it work for the Ferry in Hiroshima? Should I use it for the NEX on the 27th or wait till the 28th when I leave for Kyoto? Thank you for any suggestions and information you provide

Steve

Comments

• Hi,
    A 7 day pass would pay off with the side trip to Hiroshima & Miyajima. You could use it from Narita Airport and take the Narita Express train into Tokyo (ordinarily ¥3000), or another option is the Keisei Skyliner
    http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/special/index.html
    or even the ¥1000 yen bus.
    http://accessnarita.jp/en/home/

Whether to activate it at Narita or the next day just before going to Kyoto depends largely on what you would do with that 7th day if you activated it on the 28th. You didn't say if you're returning to Tokyo or not, but if you used that time for a good day trip to someplace like Himeji in Kansai, or closer to Tokyo, Nikko, Kusatsu, Izu etc.

You can use the pass on the JR ferry to Miyajima - there are 2 ferry companies there, so make sure you go to the JR one.

Be aware though that many places may be closed for New Year's, and may close just before. Have a good look at the websites of the places you plan to visit and make sure - and also have a back up plan just in case.
  • Thank you for the help. I am returning to Tokyo on the 31st and was planning on visiting the Mt. Fuji area on the 1st or 2nd which is why I asked about when I should activate it. Would it be better to have an extra day or save the 3000 yen for the NEX?
  • I would never turn down another chance to go and see someplace special. As far as going to Narita goes, you can still take the 1000 yen bus if you like and you would still get a lot more savings for using the pass and adding to your value.
  • Hi

I would like to have advise. My trip to japan will be on 2/4/2017 (arrived at kansai) until 9/4/2017 ( narita airport).
    My itinerary will be from kansai to nara- osaka-kyoto and tokyo-mount fuji - disneyland. From osaka to tokyo i will plan using shikensen.

Is it all my itinerary can using JR Pass all time or have to using subway/normal train for certain place.

Please advise.
  • If you are not returning in Kansai or making other side trips, a 7 day pass would not pay off for you.