Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

travel help

Hi,

I'm planning to be in Japan for the first time from 11/5-11/12 and I need some help. I'm flying in and out of Haneda and staying at a place near Ikebukuro Station. I'm mostly planning to stay in the Tokyo area, a day or so in Yokohama and Hakone.

From my last post, asking around, and looking more into it, a JR Rail Pass most likely isn't worth it. It seems like the cheapest route is to get a few of the Tokyo Subway Tickets, a 2-day Hakone Free Pass (not sure if from Shinjuku station or purchased inside the free area is better, not sure what's the free area), and just pay the cost to get to Yokohama. Would this be the best way to go?

I tried looking for this information, but can't seem to find a definitive answer. For the Tokyo Subway Tickets, I see that I can get them at Haneda airport, would I be able to buy multiple of them? Also a little worried about the expiry date on the back of the ticket. I'm assuming that it should last for the week? Would someone be able to confirm that?

Also, would someone be able to help me find the best way to get from Haneda Airport to Ikebukuro Station and back? I'm not too worried about getting to Ikebukuro Station when I land since it'll be mid afternoon, but I'm more worried about getting back. The flight leaves at 5:50 in the morning on the 12th. I found that there was an Airport Limousine that leaves Ikebukuro Station east exit No.1 at 03:35 and should get to Haneda by 04:25, that's assuming that there are no delays. Would that be the best way to get to Haneda Airport? I'm worried about possible delays or anything else like that. Don't mind taking a taxi or something if that would be the safer route.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi,
    You are correct that a JR Pass would be a terrible waste of money. A Hakone Free Pass can be a good way to save money, and you can get a ticket that takes you from Shinjuku. Since you don't have some other pass that would take you to Odawara (near Hakone), that would make the most sense.
    Yokohama is very close by and no real pass is needed.

A Tokyo subway pass can be a good way to save money. You can get multiple passes so long as the periods of validity do not overlap.
    http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html#anc03

Getting to Ikebukuro from Haneda is simple - take the monorail to Hamamatsucho Stn, then take the Yamanote Line to Ikebukuro Stn.
    The reverse is a problem since the trains aren't running that early.

For your return, there is far less traffic in the middle of the night. But less than 90 minutes is pushing it a bit. It depends on the airline of course. With Japanese airlines, I've checked in an hour before. With another, they closed the flight 2 hours before. So you might contact the airline directly to see what they say.
    If you are still concerned, you can get a hotel close to the airport for your last night.
  • Hi Tenjin,

Thanks for all the information and help.

I was planning to get 2 of the 72 hour passes and 1 of the 48 hour passes. For the dates of validity, it starts when it is first used, so if I use it at 16:00, it'll no longer be valid at 15:59 three days later? I remember a friend telling me with the JR Rail pass the first day is when you use it, even if it is at like 20:00, it still counts as the first day. Not sure if the same is for the Tokyo Subway Pass.

I was worried about cutting it close with the Airport Limousine, and when I looked it up with Google, I didn't see any trains running that early, it was either get there at like midnight by train, or call a taxi, if that's an option. Forgot about booking a hotel close to the airport for the last night. But with the flight supposedly leaving at 05:50, might just go to the airport early and stay there.

Just checked the airline's website I'm using, Peach, said I have to check-in 50-120 minutes before the flight.

Thanks
  • Hi,
    For the Tokyo Metro passes, it is as you described. If you buy a 24 hour pass on Tuesday at 12 noon, it is good until Wednesday at 12 noon. I confirmed it by e-mail with the Tokyo Metro Office.

All the JR passes/regional passes work differently - a day starts and ends at midnight. If you get a 3 day pass and activate it at 6 PM, your first "day" is just 6 hours long.
  • Thank you for all the help Tenjin.