Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Itinerary and 7 or 14 days JR pass?

Hello,
THANK YOU for this wonderful site!

I am thinking to buy 7-days pass for our itinerary for days 4 - 10. I used calculator it looks like pass it is a good option for those days. Or 14-days pass is better? Any advise on itinerary is greatly appreciated :-)
day 1 - arrival to Tokyo, Haneda in the evening
day 2 - Tokyo
day 3 - Tokyo
day 4 - Nikko (1-day trip returning to Tokyo in the evening)
day 5 - moving from Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto rest of the day.
day 6 to 10 - Kyoto and around, e.g 1-days trip to Nara and 1-day trip to Himeji
day 10 - moving from Kyoto to Odawara for 2 nights in Hakone.
day 11 - Hakone
day 12 - Moving from Hakone to Tokyo
day 13 -Tokyo
day 14 - morning departure from Tokyo
Would it be better to go to Kyoto direct from Nikko on day 4? We want to spend full day in Nikko, it means leaving it in the evening and night traveling to Kyoto. Or:
1- to stick to original plan and return for the night to Tokyo;
2- stay overnight in Nikko and move directly to Kyoto on day 5?

We plan to buy 2-days Hakone pass or Fuji Hakone pass from Odawara. Which is better for 2-nights in Hakone?
Thank you!
Appreciate your guidance.

Comments

• Hi,
    Going straight from Nikko to Kyoto will take you close to 5 hours. I think that's too long for one ride - seeing Nikko takes a full day for seeing the best, and actually 2 days to see it all without rushing.
    For the rail pass, you'd make excellent savings used Days 4-10. Breaking even on a 14 day pass is iffy. I'd stick with the 7 day pass.

After the temples of Kyoto close down around 5 PM, you can zip over to Osaka for the evening. At night the city comes alive and has some great places to see, such as Dotonbori, plus the night views from the Umeda Sky Bldg and Abeno Harukas Bldg are wonderful.
    On another evening, you could also go and see Kobe.

Please note that with your plans, you need to pay for the bus or train from Odawara back to Tokyo (about 75 min, 1500 yen by ltd express train - or if you splurge for the bullet train, about 35 minutes and 3220 yen).

For Hakone, if you are not also going to the Fuji 5 Lakes area, the Fuji-Hakone pass makes no sense. Actually, even if you were, since you are not going from Tokyo to Odawara, it still might not.
  • Thank you, Tenjin! Much appreciated.