Hey guys, was wondering if you could help me out a bit making a decision between:
A). The JR national pass for 21 days (470,- euro pp)
. Ise-Kumano-Wakayama Area Tourist Pass (first 5 days Kumano Kodo) and then 2 x 7 days JR Sanyo San'in Area Pass (380,- euro pp).
The price difference between the two options is 90,- euro per person, which is about what it would cost us to rent a car in Kyushu. I was wondering if it's worth saving some cash and the Ise-Kumano-Wakayama Area Tourist Pass is actually quite nice, because you can take all the local busses around the Kumano Kodo trail. However, I'm not sure if the JR Sanyo San'in is worth if for the last days we spend around Kyoto and Osaka. Most likely in our case it might be cheaper buying separate tickets all the time, but because we have a few days where we travel quite some distance, I don't think JR passes would be that much more expensive, plus you have the convienence of not having to purchase tickets all the time.
Our travel schedule:
18...19 May: Osaka
20...22 May: Kumano Kodo
23 May: Ise
24...26 May: Hiroshima
27 May: Miyajima
28...31 May: Kyushu area by car (starting from Fukuoka)
1...2 June: Iwakuni
3...5 June: Kyoto
6...7 June: Osaka (last we fly back)
Some questions I've got that can make the decision making a bit easier for me:
1. For option B. is possible to order all the passes and pick them up in one go? It would be inconvenient to pick up each pass separately each time... I would purchase the following:
- 19...24 May Ise-Kumano-Wakayama Area Tourist Pass
- 24...30 May JR Sanyo San'in Area Pass
- 1...7 June JR Sanyo San'in Area Pass
2. Is the part from Iwakuni-Kyoto-Osaka doable with the Sanyo San'in Area Pass? I've read for example that you can't use the Shinkansens from Kyto to Osaka with this pass. But apart from the shinkansens, will I be able to travel with this pass around Kyoto and from Kyoto to Osaka?
3. Are there any more area's the JR Sanyo San'in Area Pass does not cover, or any other specialties the JR national pass does have, but this one does not?