Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum

Advice on best JRPass

I wanted to know if the 7 days JRPass will include bullet train from Osaka to Tokyo. Once in Tokyo, will it cover subway pass and train to the airport on the last day? what else does the 7 day JRpass covers?
Thanks!

Comments

• It covers the bullet train but not the nozomi bullet train. It does not cover subways or non-JR trains, with a tiny number of exceptions. It does cover the monorail to/from Haneda. But which airport are you referring?
    For more detailed info, see the JR page on it:
    http://www.japanrailpass.net/
  • We are going to travel to Tokyo,Kyoto and Osaka for 14 days. We have doubts about if we should get the 14 days one or 7 days one. Our planning is Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo.

We know we will use the card to go from Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Osaka and finally Osaka-Tokyo. That plan will be around 7 days so we are covered by the 7 days card but our question is, is it worth to get the 14 days(extra 7 days) card just for Tokyo??
    According to what we read, it doesn't cover too much in Tokyo, just one metro line. We would like to go to Nikko, Hakone , Kamakura ,Yokohama or Kanazawa, so does JRpass cover them?
  • If you go to also Kanazawa for a day or overnight, you would make a 14 day pass pay off, but not for the other places. It is 2.5 hours to Kanazawa though, so as a day trip, it is pushing it. Another option is to do a day trip from Kansai to Hiroshima and Miyajima...that would also work.
    If you are already seeing Tokyo, there is far less need to see Osaka in the day. Evenings there are great though, like Dotonbori, Shinsekai, and night views from the Abeno Harukas Bldg, etc. I highly suggest you take at least half a day and see Nara Park in Nara. Himeji is also well worth it.
  • Thank! one more thing..how are the "traveling" days counted? if I get the 7 day pass but I am staying 2 days in Kyoto (not traveling) does it mean I lost two days of using the pass? or the 7 days of "traveling" are counting only on the days I travel. Sorry, it is confusing the word "consecutive" days of traveling. It makes no sense to be traveling for 7 days non stop

• Once your pass is activated, the clock is running. JR doesn't care if you travel or not - it's up to you to make your plans satisfying and worthwhile. You don't have to be traveling 7 days straight - just travel enough to make the rail pass pay off during that time.
    Remember also that a day starts and ends at midnight - if you activate to use your pass immediately at 6 PM, your first "day" is just 6 hours long. Although if you're riding on the train at midnight when it expires, you can keep riding until you reach your destination or you exit the station.
    Only a few passes are flex passes where you can pick any days within 14 days to use as you like - those are some JR East passes for the Tohoku Region, Niigata/Nagano, and up to southern Hokkaido.