Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Itinerary suggestion for a 7 day trip to Japan

Hi, my husband and I (from New Zealand) are planning our trip to Japan in mid May, for 1 week. We are arriving and leaving from Tokyo. This is our 5th trip to Japan and we have been to Tokyo each time, as well as Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Kobe, Himeji and Hakone. We are therefore hoping to explore a different place this time. We would like to spend at least 1 full day in Tokyo, so probably just 4-5 days for exploring somewhere else.

We are big Japan fans and love everything Japanese...scenary, shopping, the people, and especially food. We are not super into arts or history, but always keen to see and learn something new. We are in our 30s.

Currently I am considering getting the Takayama Hokuriku Tourist pass and explore the Hokuniku area. Any suggestion on where to base ourselves would be appreciated - and which town/city is must see etc.

We are also keen to get other itinerary advice that would fit into a 4-5 day schedule. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    There are many areas you can visit from Tokyo as say trips - Nikko, Kamakura/Enoshima, Karuizawa, and Kusatsu are a few suggestions.
    Takayama/Shirakawago would be a great choice also - and don't miss Kanazawa.
    Kyoto and Nara are both some of the best of Japan. If you haven't seen it all (and it'd takes several weeks to do it), you could always find something new there. One of the best places in Japan is the Todaiji Temple in Nara.

Beyond the Kansai area is Hiroshima/Miyajima, and both are great. Further along is Iwakuni, with its iconic bridge and mountaintop castle.
    Deeper into Yamaguchi there is the Akiyoshido which is a 300 million year old limestone cave 1km deep with an underground river and giant caverns.

Kyushu also has many great places, and Okinawa is a delighful and refreshing place to see as well.