Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

JR Rail Pass activation alternatives

Hi there

I am travelling to remote Hokkaido (Niseko) in January, then in March I will be using a 14-day JR Rail Pass beginning from Niseko down to Honshu. Based on the information available, it seems I can only activate my pass at airports/major stations or 30 days in advance, which doesn't help me. My question is, is there a way for me to activate my pass either remotely, or more than 30 days in advance, such that I am covered by my pass upon departure in Niseko? I am trying to avoid having to pay for the first 2 legs of my journey until I get to Shin-Hakodate station (where I can activate). If I have to pay for my first two legs, is there a way to receive a refund for that ticket once I activate my pass the same day?

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hi,
    You can only activate the pass at one of the designated JR offices:
    http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/exchange.html
    You must exchange the voucher for the actual pass within 3 mos from the date of issue. You can't set your first day more than 30 days in advance when activating.

I've never seen a case where people get a refund for their fares for trips just before activating their passes - your travel plans are very atypical.
    Sorry to say this, but it looks like you are out of luck here.

• Options
    Thanks Tenjin.
    That is unfortunate.. I love everything about Japan but sometimes their strict adherence to rules and unwillingness to make exceptions bugs me! I suppose I will have to deal with it..
    Cheers