Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Can't get my head round all the different passes

Hi all
Apologies if this has been asked before(I'm sure it will have)
We are travelling to Narita airport followed by Tokyo (4 nights), Kyoto (3 nights),Osaka(3 nights) ,Hiroshima(2 nights) then back to Tokyo ( 2 nights) I'm thinking of purchasing the 14 day JR pass but I'm lost with which other passes I will need for the other cities?

Any guidance would be much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

You are right in wanting to purchase a national rail pass. As you are travelling to different regions this is the best option for you.

Kind regards,

Japan Experience
  • Options
    Hi,
    I would like to know if the transfert from Asakusa to Narita International airport is included in the JRP . I tried using the Hyperdia 's app and the transfer is not free. .Thank you
  • Options
    Hello,

Asakusa is a subway (non-JR) station and therefore not included in the JR pass. From Asakusa you would have to pay to ride the subway to a JR line.

For example, you could take the Ginza Line from Asakusa to Kanda for 170 yen, then transfer to the JR Yamanote Line at Kanda, and use your JR Pass to go to Tokyo Station. From Tokyo, the Narita Express goes to Narita Airport, and you can use your JR Pass on this train as well.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Japan Experience
  • Options
    Our group of four is arriving in Osaka and traveling straight to Kyoto where we will stay for 8 nights. We will go to Nara and maybe Osaka for day trips. I do not know where else we ill travel to in that time.
    Then we travel to Takayama to stay 3 nights.
    Then we travel to Tokyo to stay 6 nights.
    Is a Japan Rail Pass worthwhile for these trips or should we just get regional passes? Or should we get a 7 day JR pass from the day we travel to Takayama. Will the JR pass be able to be used enough?
    Thanks
    Catherine
  • Options
    Travelling between Kyoto, Osaka and Nara will not be too expensive if you were to purchase individual tickets. The most expensive part of your itinerary will be travelling to Takayama and then Tokyo. If you're flying out of Tokyo then perhaps the pass is not necessarily worth it. Especially that you are staying a long time in Tokyo itself, where the JR Pass is only useful on a couple lines. I would suggest comparing prices for individual tickets on www.hyperdia.com vs a 7, 14 or 21 day pass. Bear in mind that the JR Pass can only be used on consecutive days.
  • Options
    Thank you USAGICHAN. We are waiting for October's timetable but based on September's timetable the JR pass is not worthwhile.