Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Osaka - Tokyo - Miyajima (5 days)

I'm staying in Osaka for 5 days in the Namba area. I want to go to Tokyo for a day trip and Miyajima for a day trip. Will it be cost-efficient to get a rail pass??

Also I'm not sure what trains to take from Osaka to Miyajima if I use the JR Rail pass. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Since you will be travelling in-between several regions, the only pass that will cover your entire journey is the National Japan Rail Pass. You cannot go from one region to another with two regional passes.
    The Japan Rail Pass will also allow you to take the Shinkansen bullet train (except for the Nozomi and Mizuho).

You can purchase this pass for 7, 14, or 21 consecutive days via our website :
    http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/jr-pass

Hyperdia is very convenient to calculate if a Japan Rail Pass is worth buying in your case and to know which length is most cost-effective for your travel.

Please visit hyperdia.com:

- In search conditions, write the departure and arrival location (day and time does not really matter)
    - The search will provide you the fare for this travel (check "total price" under "take time")
    - Do the same for all your trips by train.
    - Just compare with the price of a Japan Rail Pass 7, 14 or 21 days by checking the price here : http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/jr-pass

You want to be sure you can access to the trains for free with a Japan Rail Pass :
    - In “search details”, unclick “Nozomi, Mizuho, Hayabusa Shinkansen” and “private railway”.
    - The search result will show you all the trains you can access with a Japan Rail Pass.

We stay at disposal if you have any further question.

Best regards,

Japan Experience
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    At the current the exchange rate (117:1) the JR Pass would be well worth it's price.
    The total price of just the Shinkansen portion of the two round-trips that you are planning is roughly $417 US today.
    To get to Miyajima from Osaka you will leave from Shin-Osaka station on the Sanyo Shinkansen bound for Hiroshima where you will change to local train JR Sanyo Line bound for Iwakuni but you will get off at Miyajima-guchi Station where you will have a short walk (5-min) to the JR Miyajima Island Ferry Terminal for a 10 min ride over the island.
    Your JR Rail Pass will cover all train and ferry fares for this trip.
  • Options
    Thanks a bunch. Hyperdia has been super helpful. I think because of the amount of days we are going to stick between Osaka and Tokyo, but having the rail pass will still be nice if we want to go to Tokyo again (since we are staying in Osaka).