Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Which JR Pass is suitable, if any.

I would like advise on which JR Pass(es) is suitable for part of my proposed itinerary.

Apr 2 Tokyo (Driving back in from Hakone)
Apr 3 Tokyo
Apr 4 Tokyo
Apr 4 Tokyo - Shin-Osaka (This is where I will base myself for the Kansai area, planning to travel into Kyoto 2x daily, or within the region)
Apr 5 Shin-Osaka - Kyoto
Apr 6 Shin-Osaka - Kyoto
Apr 7 Shin-Osaka - Arashiyama
Apr 8 Shin-Osaka - Nara
Apr 9 Shin-Osaka - Kyoto
Apr 10 Shin-Osaka - Tokyo
Apr 11 Tokyo
Apr 12 Depart Tokyo

I am considering to stay near Shin-Osaka for the time in Kansai, and making between 1-2 trips into Kyoto (or surrounding area) daily, as it is near impossible to find reasonably-priced accommodation in Kyoto in the first 2 weeks of April, and there are some available in Shin-Osaka. There are 3 of us in the group, therefore I will need to consider if there is still reasonable savings staying in Shin-Osaka and using the JR Passes or ICOCA for 3 of us.

Comments

• Options
    Dear OLETLIV

For your trip I would recommend using the 7 day national JR Pass as this is the only pass that would cover all your journeys. I would suggest to activate it on April 4th so it would last until your journey back to Tokyo to April 10th. The Japan Rail Pass is useful for train trips between cities, but within cities the best thing to use is a PASMO / ICOCA card. This is a pre-paid top card that you can only use on local transport within cities.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience