Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Questions about my JR Pass usage from Tokyo to Hiroshima (and back)

Hi guys, I have a few questions for you.

I'll be staying in Japan during the period of 14-29 November. I'm planning on acquiring the JR Pass in the period of 20-27 November, to travel to other places with Tokyo as my starting base.

My plan is to go from Tokyo to visit Kyoto (2 days), Nara (1day), Osaka (2 days), and Hiroshima (1 day) in this order, during this week.

My first question is if I can travel to these places with solely having to pay for the JR Pass. Does the JR Pass cover all these routes?

My second question is if it is do-able/recommended to visit these places within this time frame.

My third question is if it is recommended to use the JR Pass to come back to Tokyo from Hiroshima, or if It's more convenient to book a direct flight.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Hello, Dimitri!

I would say yes to each question.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Hi,
    Yes, you can take JR to all the places you mention. Actually, it would help also if you added at least a day while down there. You could add more value to your pass by taking a day away from Osaka and seeing someplace like Himeji with Japan's best castle.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3500.html
    Since you are already seeing Tokyo, you can largely skip Osaka during the day. After the temples of Kyoto close down around 5PM, you can zip over to Osaka for the evening. At night the city comes alive and has some great places to see, such as Dotonbori, plus the night views from the Umeda Sky Bldg and Abeno Harukas Bldg are wonderful.
    Instead, take that time and also go see Kobe.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2159.html

If you returned by by airplane, then the value of the JR pass would disappear. And while there might be some modest time savings, a lot would be eaten up getting to/from the airports. The Hiroshima airport especially is far away from the city.

• Options
    Thank you! Very helpful information :)