Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

8 day japan visit

Hi, I am wondering if it is worth it to buy a 7 day JR pass or only a kansai pass for me and my companion who will be having the following itinerary:

day 1: arriving at night in Kansai International airport around 11pm and staying at dotonburi, Osaka.
day 2: visiting the Universal studios at morning then going back to dotonburi in the evening.
day 3: Kyoto and nara in the morning and visiting Osaka castle and umeda sky building.
day 4: Travelling to Tokyo (hoping to use a Bullet train) for experience, however if JR pass can provide then we can manage to use JR pass also. maybe visit Sky Tree in the afternoon.

day 5: travelling to Yokohama for a tour. (maybe with a friend using a car)
day 6: travelling to shinjuku for a tour.
day 7: travelling to other places for shopping.
day 8: return to Narita Airport.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,
    A 7 day pass would simply not pay off for your itinerary. And for Day 3 you simply can't see Kyoto and Nara in the morning. It would take you weeks and weeks to see the best of Kyoto, and Nara could be done bare minimum as a half day trip. I suggest you combine your activities of Days 6-7 and add another day to see Kyoto.

Unfortunately, a Kansai Area Pass would not pay off for you either. But a Kintetsu Rail Pass might.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_006.html
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response, may I ask if I'm going to Tokyo from Osaka, how will that be? Via bullet train?

Does the jrpass have a bullet train pass?

Thank you!
  • Options
    You can go to Tokyo however you like. You can fly on a cheap low cost carrier like Jet Star, Vanilla Air, or Peach, or use something like ANA's Experience Japan Fare, or take the train. There are buses as well - very cheap but extremely time consuming.
    If you buy regular bullet train tickets, you can take the Nozomi train which is the fastest and get you into Tokyo about 30 minutes faster. People on JR Passes can't take that one. They can take other bullet trains however, aside from the Nozomi or Mizuho trains. See:
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html