Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

kansai pass

Hallo, I will arrive in Kix nov 20 and move to Osaka for 5 nights. during these days I would like to take airport train to Shin-osaka then visit kyoto (2 days) uji/Nara (1 day) kobe (1 day). then i'll go to Koya-san, Hikone, Okayama, Himeji but I'm still trying to figure out how to organize my itinerary.. I have few question regarding the kansai pass and kansai wide pass. 1) I would like to know if it's necessary to reserve it in advance or if I can buy it directly at the airport when I arrive. 2) I have read the list of lines included in the kansai wide area pass. If a train that I want to use (based on Hyperdia timetable) just say jr special rapid service but it doesn't mention the name of the line, I am allowed to use it with the pass? 3) with the wide pass it is allowed to take any shinkansen train to go to Okayama?
thank you for your answer, this helps me a lot. have a nice day!

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Hi Triha,

1. You can buy the Kansai passes at the airport when you arrive, however it is slightly more expensive (500 yen or so) to do so compared with ordering in advance.

2. Yes, if it just says special rapid service, you can use the pass. You can sit in a non-reserved seat without paying extra fare, or you can pay extra for a reserved seat.

The JR KANSAI AREA PASS is valid for the following:
    - Non-reserved seats on Kansai-airport Express HARUKA.
    - Special Rapid Services, Rapid Services, and Local trains on JR-WEST Conventional lines.
    * Separate Express Tickets are required for
    1. Reserved seats on Kansai-airport Express HARUKA
    2. Both Reserved and Non-reserved seats on Express Trains excluding Kansai-airport Express HARUKA
    * Bullet Trains (SHINKANSEN) cannot be used.

The JR KANSAI WIDE PASS is valid for the following:
    - Non-reserved seats on Bullet Train "SANYO SHINKANSEN" (Shin-Osaka⇔Okayama)
    - Non-reserved seats on Express Trains 'HARUKA, KUROSHIO, THUNDERBIRD, KOUNOTORI, SUPER HAKUTO (Kyoto⇔Kamigori) etc.
    - Special Rapid Services, Rapid Services, and Local trains on JR-WEST Conventional lines.

3. Yes, all Shinkansen are valid with the Kansai Wide Pass.

I hope this helps!

Japan Experience