Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Is it worth to buy the JR Pass

Hi,

I will be travelling to Japan in late Nov for an estimate of 10 days. My itineraries are as follow:

Day 1 Arrive at Haneda and transfer to Shinjuku
Day 2 Travel to Hakone
Day 3 Hakone
Day 4 Hakone to Kyoto
Day 5 Kyoto
Day 6 Kyoto
Day 7 Kyoto to Yokohama
Day 8 Yokohama
Day 9 Yokohama to Tokyo
Day 10 Tokyo to Narita Airport

Pls advise will it be more economical to buy per trip tickets or JR pass for my trip?

Any comments to improve on my itineraries are welcome too.

Thank you and Regards.

Littlerat08

Comments

• Options
    Hi Littlerat08,

I think if you use Japan Rail Pass 7 days, it's really useful and worthwhile for you. But you can't use for your whole stay.
    So you can activate your pass when you arrive at Haneda, or when you leave Tokyo to Hakone. And then you use pass to go back to Yokohama from Kyoto, you just need to buy ticket from Yokohama to Tokyo, and Tokyo to Narita.

For more information of your itinerary :
    http://www.hyperdia.com

Have a nice trip in Japan!

Best,
  • Options
    Hi,
    Day 1 Osaka
    Day 3 Kobe
    Day 4 Kobe > Osaka > Kobe
    Day 5 Kobe > Kyoto > Kobe
    Day 6 Kobe > Nara > Kobe
    Day 7 Kobe > Kyoto > Kobe
    Day 8 Kobe > KIX
    Should I but a JR National Rail Pass or Kansai Regional Pass?
    Thank you.
    Tony
  • Options
    Hi Tony,

It might be worth it to buy a 7-day National JRP if you want to ride the shinkansen. If you plan on getting reserved seats on the shinkansen, the cost of separate tickets would be greater than the cost of the pass. If you aren't travelling during peak travel times and plan to just sit in non-reserved seats, it would not be worth getting this pass.

The JR Kansai pass is significantly cheaper than the National JR Pass, so would definitely save you money and could be the better option, but is not valid for use on the Shinkansen. It's still possible to easily make your way between the cities you will be visiting, though.

So it's up to you which option you would prefer.

Kind Regards,

Japan Experience