Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Is it worth to buy the JR Pass? 7-Day Itinerary

Hi!

I'd like to know if this itinerary for two is worth buying the JR pass.

Day 1 - Tokyo
Day 2 - Tokyo
Day 3 - Tokyo - Osaka (Universal Studios Japan)
Day 4 - Osaka - Kyoto -Tokyo
Day 5 - Tokyo
Day 6 - Tokyo
Day 7 - Tokyo

Please let me know if JR Pass will cover the travel expense for this trip or if we will be needing to pay additional fee. Also, is it worth to buy the JR Pass for this kind of itinerary?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    By the way, we could possibly squeeze in Tokyo - Mt. Fuji in Day 5.
  • Options
    Hi Jermaine

The only pass that will cover these areas is the national JR Pass, available for 7 days. This will cover your travel into Tokyo on the Narita Express or Tokyo Monorail depending on which airport you fly into. The Japan Rail Pass will be the cheapest way of traveling around Japan and the 7 day JR Pass is about the same price as a return from Tokyo to Osaka. The pass also gives you a bit more flexibility if you wanted to do a day trip anywhere.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience
  • Options
    Hi,

I would like to know if buying JR pass would cater all my itinerary.

DAY 1 and 2- NARITA TO PEARL HOTEL RYUGUKO
    TOKYO
    Akihabara
    happoen garden
    tsukiji
    shinjuko
    shibuya
    disneyland

DAY 3 - MT Fuji and kyoto
    Izu peninsula
    lake kawaguchiko

DAY 4- Kyoto
    fushimi inari-taisha
    toji
    arashiyama
    philosophers path
    hiroshima
    DAY 5- ITSUKUSHIMA SHRINE
    CEBTREZA HOTEL HAKATA
    FUKUOKA AIRPORT

PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IF JR PASS WOULD COVER ALL THIS AREA. IF NOT PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TRAIN OR PASS IS TO GET AND ITS PRICE.

• Options
    Hi Jessa

The only pass that would cover all these areas is the national JR Pass, available for 7,14 or 21 days. You can find prices here: https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/.

The only places that the pass does not cover is the Hakone area for Lake Kawaguchiko. Also the pass does not cover the local transport within cities not owned by Japan Rail, for example Tokyo Metro. For the Tokyo Metro it would be best to purchase a pre-paid top card card called a Pasmo card - https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/pasmocard.

You're itinerary does look busy so it's best to take a look at journey times and work out the best way of seeing as much as you within the time period. For example on day four you have Arashiyama which takes about 40 mins to get to and there is a lot to see and it's quite spread out, so usually I would recommend a whole afternoon there at least. The train from Kyoto to Hiroshima takes 131 mins. You can use this website, www.hyperdia.com, to find out journey times.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience