Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Which Japan Rail pass to buy

We are in Japan for 14 days and I am not sure if we should buy a 7 day pass or 14 day pass. We arrive at Haneda airport March 16th but cannot activate our pass as the JR office will be closed. We will be in Tokyo for 7 days. We will mainly be touring in Tokyo for the first 7 days except we will travel to Mount Fuji and the Jigokudani Monkey Park. For the last 7 days we will be staying in Kyoto but we will travel to Nara, Hiroshima, Miyajima Island and Osaka and back to the Haneda airport. I know that we need the JR pass for the second week but am wondering if we could do without the first week. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Hi RACHELS1MOM

The best thing to do would be work out your itinerary and then work out the cost of each journey and compare this with the cost of a Japan Rail Pass.

The Japan Rail Pass isn't very useful for travel within the cities, but between cities. But as you are travelling to Mt Fuji and Jigokundani it maybe cheaper, some of the journey for both Hakone and Jigokudani Park will not be covered by the Japan Rail Pass.

Please visit hyperdia.com:
    - In search conditions, write the departure and arrival locations
    - The search will provide you the fare for this travel
    - Do the same for all your trips by train
    - Just compare with the price of a JR Pass 7, 14 or 21 days
    (Check the price here: http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/)

You want to be sure, you can access to this train with a JR Pass:
    - In “search details”, unclick “Nozomi, Mizuho, Hayabusa (shinkansen)” and “private railway”
    - The search result will show you all the trains you can access with a Japan Rail Pass

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Japan Experience
  • Options
    Thank you. The difference between a 14 day and 7 day pass is $195.00 Canadian. Just to take the train from Tokyo to Nagano to see the Snow Monkeys would cost $16,800 yen which is the equivalent of $195.00 Canadian so it will be worth it to buy the 14 day pass for the extra $195.00 Canadian. Thank you for your information and helping me to answer my own question.