Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

14 days in Japan thinking I can utilise a 7 day pass

We are a family of 4 (2 kids - one 16 and the other 8)
Arriving in Tokyo Narita on 20/11/2016
Planning on staying in Tokyo for the first week.
Thinking that we can then travel from 26/11/2016 until the 3/12/2016 to the maybe below schedule:
TOKYO to HIROSHIMA 26/11 (est. Y 19,080)
HIROSHIMA to OSAKA 26/11 (est. Y 10,440)
OSAKA to KYOTO 30/11 (est. Y 3,020)
KYOTO to OSAKA 30/11 (est. Y 3,020)
OSAKA to TOKYO 2/12 (est. Y 14,450)
TOKYO to NARITA 3/12 (est. Y 4,000)

My other question is that I am hoping to travel on shinkansen (don't need the fastest) but don't want to be travelling on local trains.
Will a Japan Rail Pass also cover any of the local travel within these areas, Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima.

Also, want to make sure that the pass covers all extra charges - like seat fees.
Any help to confirm whether I have figured this out correctly would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    If you have the Japan Rail Pass you can take the bullet trains (except the fastest like the Nozomi, Mizuho) as well as limited express, express, and local trains, as long as they are run by JR. You don't have to worry for any seat fees for trains in the itinerary you mention.
    You can see train schedules, transfer info and regular fares on www.hyperdia.com
    Your dates and plan though frankly raise a lot of questions. It will take you nearly 5 hours to go from Tokyo to Hiroshima with the JRP at the best connection - that leaves little time after a long train trip to try to see the whole city. I suggest you rearrange things so they are not so exhausting. You can see Hiroshima City+Miyajima as a day trip if you start early in the morning. For Hiroshima there is the Peace Park/Museum, Shukkei-en Garden and castle, plus dowtown shopping arcade and Okonomiyakimura if you like. For Miyajima the top sights are the Itsukushima Shrine (with the torii gate in the water) as well as the Daishoin Temple (a must-see) and if you like the climb and hike, the view from atop Mt Misen on a clear day is superb.
    Plus if you are seeing Tokyo already, you can largely skip Osaka, which is more or less a clone. Use that time to see Nara, Kobe, and Himeji which has Japan's finest castle. You could however see Osaka in the evening after the temples/shrines in Kyoto close around 5 PM. Dotonbori in Osaka at night is great and the food is excellent, and the views from the top of the Umeda Sky Bldg and Abeno Harukas Bldg are mind blowing.
    You can rack up some big savings on a 7 day JR Rail Pass going down to Hiroshima and back. For some day trips from Tokyo, look into a Tokyo Wide Pass, and see Nikko, Kamakura, Karuizawa, Izu, Kusatsu, or the Boso Peninsula. You can also get a 3 day Tokyo subway day pass for ¥1500 at Narita or Haneda airports.