My itineraries are simple and I'm open to suggestion

5/1 - Arrival: Tokyo, Narita
5/2 - Tokyo
5/3- Tokyo to Fuji
5/4 - Fuji
5/5 - Fuji - Osaka
5/6 - Osaka
5/7 - Osaka: Departure

I need to know how I can maximize my JR Pass. Can it be use for city transit, subway, buses?

Cheers,
Jag

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jag,

The JR Pass can only be used on JR lines. You'll be able to use a JR Pass to get from Narita into Tokyo, Tokyo to Osaka, and Osaka to Kansai Airport. If you have not yet bought your JR Pass, it may be worth checking whether buying one will actually be worth the money for you. It may be cheaper to buy individual tickets when you get there. You can check the price of train fares using this website www.hyperdia.com.

You can use the JR Pass on JR lines within Tokyo like the Yamanote line, and on local JR buses, but the subway systems are privately owned, so you cannot use a JR Pass on the subway.

You also cannot travel all the way to Mt Fuji using the JR Pass, since JR lines do not cover the entire journey.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Japan Experience
  • Options
    It would not pay off for the itinerary you give without adding more side trips, but it looks like you simply don't have the time. You also need to decide if you will see Hakone or the Fuji 5 Lakes area - they are on opposite sides of the mountain. Given that you appear to want to concentrate on that area, you might be able to see both. There are some regional passes you might save money with.
    http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/