Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Tokyo-Mt Fuji-Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo is the JR Pass worth it?

Hi there everyone,
I left this a bit late so I would love feedback as soon as possible as I'm leaving for Tokyo on the 15th of May. I haven't brought a JR Pass yet but thinking of purchasing this week, but unsure whether too as it's a lot of money but we are travelling for 22 days and the 21 Day pass is around $700.
This is my itinerary;
4days in Tokyo
2 days in Mt FFuji
6 days in Osaka
6 days in Kyoto
4 days back in Tokyo

Do you think it is worth buying the JR Pass for my itinerary? Thank you everyone!
Much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Your itinerary as it stands doesn't come close to making a 21 day pass pay off. But you could add some day trips and make up the difference. Frankly IMHO 3-4 days in Tokyo is quite enough, and there are many good places in the area you could visit, including Nikko, Kamakura/Enoshima, Izu, Karuizawa, Kusatsu etc - that could add about 20,000 yen in rail travel or more to make a 3 week pass worth it.
    Likewise, since you are already seeing Tokyo, you can largely skip Osaka during the day. After the temples of Kyoto close down around 5PM, you can zip over to Osaka for the evening. At night the city comes alive and has some great places to see, such as Dotonbori, plus the night views from the Umeda Sky Bldg and Abeno Harukas Bldg are wonderful.
    Instead, take that time and do a day trip or overnight to see Hiroshima/Miyajima, and even Iwakuni a bit beyond that; also a night at Koyasan if you'd like to experience a more spiritual side of Japan. Plus Himeji has Japan's finest castle, and you're omitting one of the crown jewels of traditional Japan - Nara. The Todaiji Temple in particular is truly unforgettable and a must-see place. A day or half day in Kobe would be nice as well.
    Six days in Kyoto is a good chunk of time, but to avoid getting templed out, throw some variety in there as well. Going up to see Miyama is nice, as well as Amanohashidate, plus if you like hiking there is Kurama and Kibune. You could even take an overnight and see Kanazawa, which is also quite a place.
    Finally, the Pass won't help you much in seeing the Fuji area, and you need to decide if you want to see Hakone, the Fuji 5 Lakes, or go for both. There are regional passes that can help you save there too.
    http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/
    If none of the above appeals to you, then just get regular tickets.
    You can see regular fares, routes and schedules on Hyperdia
    http://www.hyperdia.com