Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Help with JR pass and stations

I am so glad I found this forum! Colleagues of mine are extending our stay in Japan so we can do some sightseeing. Our company is flying us into Hiroshima but the next day we would like to take the train down to Kyoto as we will be spending 2 nights there and then have to take the train back to Hiroshima for our meeting. I have read that the 7d pass is the cheapest option. Is that correct? Also, what trains/stations do we take. My head is starting to explode as I am having a hard time trying to sort this all out. We are leaving next month. We are staying at the Crown Plaza ANA in Hiroshima and the Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    No, you don't have to buy a nationwide JR Pass.

You can just as well get to Kyoto and back with the much more reasonable JR Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass.

The bulk of your trip to Kyoto is going to be on the Sanyo Shinkansen. Services include the Nozomi and the Mizuho. Those would be the "trains".

The station to use in Hiroshima is called "Hiroshima Station", while the station to use in Kyoto is called "Kyoto Station".

Just keep in mind that the aforementioned pass is valid only for unreserved seating on the Shinkansen up to Shin-Osaka. From there, the pass covers you for your trip to Kyoto on a transfer to a conventional JR service. Of course, this is slightly less convenient than taking a direct train with reserved seats on a 7-day JR Pass, but that would be MUCH more expensive.

More information on the recommended pass here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_kansai_hiroshima.html

A model course would be:
    -If your hotel will not dispatch a shuttle to Hiroshima Station, you'll walk to nearby Hondori Station and buy a ticket for the Astram Line. After just a couple minutes, you transfer at Shin-Hakushima Station to the JR Kabe Line bound for Hiroshima. You can flash your Pass for this service, instead of buying a ticket.
    -Take the next available Nozomi service at Hiroshima Station (bound for Tokyo). Remember to only ride on a carriage with unreserved seating.
    -You need to disembark at Shin-Osaka Station. Transfer to a rapid service on the JR Kyoto Line (Platform 13 usually does the trick). Flash your pass at the transfer gates.
    -You arrive at Kyoto Station. Your hotel should really be able to provide a shuttle service. But if not, you'll want to find the Karasuma Line bound for Kokusaikaikan, and buy a ticket to Shijo Station. Your hotel is walkable from there.
    -You take the same course in reverse order to get back to Hiroshima.
  • Options
    Hi

I am travelling to Nara and want visit Tokyo, what is the most cost effective way to do this? I don't really want to purchase a Nation Wide Pass for a day trip. Please help
  • Options
    Hello, Mazza.

I wouldn't recommend Tokyo as a "day-trip" from Nara.

If you are very flexible with the days you can make the trip, you can catch flights from KIX for around 5000-7500 JPY per trip. Look for LCCs such as Peach, Jetstar and StarFlyer.
  • Options
    Neither would I.

In addition to the airfare though, you'd need to get to/from the airports, which would total nearly 7000 yen or even more.

Aside from the money issue, there is time as well - total transit time there and back would add up to close to 6½ hours, likely more time than you'll have in Tokyo itself. The Kansai are is loaded with places to see, and if you wanted to get out of it for a day, Hiroshima also makes a good day trip.