Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

A couple of Questions :)

Hi All,

I'm going to Japan (Tokyo and Kyoto) for 6 days and I'm considering getting the 7 day pass. So i have a couple of questions:

1. I'm flying into Narita and staying in Shinjuku. Apparently there is a Narita Express Train to Shinjuku, is that train covered by the 7 day pass?

2. I'm planning on traveling back and forth to Kyoto on the Shinkansen train. Although I'm staying in Shinjuku i'll need to get the subway to the Tokyo Shinkansen train station and i plan on doing this on a Sunday. I presume Sunday midday will be a busy time to get the train to Kyoto. With the 7 day pass, can i book a train in advance to make sure I get a seat at the time i want or is it the case of i'll just have to turn up with the pass and hope there is seats available on the train i want?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Also here is my rough itinerary. The hotels i booked are cancel-able so let me know if i should book hotels in more convenient locations in terms of travel.

Thursday - Fly into Tokyo (NRT) at 5pm need to get to Shinjuku Hotel
    Friday - Tokyo Sightseeing
    Saturday - Tokyo Sightseeing
    Sunday - Train to Kyoto from Tokyo Station, need to get there from Shinjuku Hotel
    Monday - Kyoto Sightseeing
    Tuesday - Train to Tokyo, staying in Hotel next to Tokyo station
    Wednesday - Fly out of Tokyo (NRT) at 6pm, need to get there from near Tokyo station
  • Options
    Hi.
    1. Yes.
    2. Not really needed, even on a weekend, except during a peak season. But regardless, you can reserve seats from any JR office.

BTW on Tuesday if you can fit in a few hours to see Nara before returning to Tokyo, it would be well worth it - it has some of Japan's very best sights. Since you are already seeing Tokyo, you can largely skip Osaka during the day. After the temples of Kyoto close down around 5PM, you can zip over to Osaka for the evening. At night the city comes alive and has some great places to see, such as Dotonbori, plus the night views from the Umeda Sky Bldg and Abeno Harukas Bldg are wonderful.