Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

Best Pass option for 18 days

Hi, here is my itinery arriving Tokyo 29 March 2017. 5days in Tokyo. 1 day trip to Nikko. Tokoyo to Hakone. Hakone to Koyoto. 5 days in Koyoto, 1 day trip to Hemji Castle. Then to Kanasawa, Next Takayma via short stop in Shirakawago ( Possibly Bus). Then to Matsumoto ( Bus??) and back to Narita Airport. Any Ideas and help appreciated

Comments

• Options
    A 14 day pass would pay off if used from going to Nikko to going from Matsumoto to the airport. The JR Pass could take you to Odawara, and then for Hakone, use a Hakone Free Pass.
    http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/hakone/
    You could then leave Hakone for Mishima Stn to pick up the bullet train for Kyoto.

Since you are putting in a fair amount of time for Kyoto, be sure to take at least half a day and go see Nara as well. It has some of Japan's best sights. Since you are already seeing Tokyo, you can largely skip Osaka during the day. After the temples of Kyoto close down around 5PM, you can zip over to Osaka for the evening. At night the city comes alive and has some great places to see, such as Dotonbori, plus the night views from the Umeda Sky Bldg and Abeno Harukas Bldg are wonderful. On another evening, you could also go see Kobe.

The only way to Shirakawago is by bus. Taking a bus from Takayama to Matsumoto instead of the train will save you about 2 hours, but cost about ¥3200 per person.
  • Options
    Thank you. I am going to digest this and will come back I am sure with some questions