Japon
Have a question ?
Use our forum
Options

JR Hokkaido Pass

Hi, I am travelling to Hokkaido in December and I am considering to get the JR Hokkaido Pass. My itinerary is quite standard. Chitose AP > Noboribetsu > Lake Toya > Hakodate > Niseko > Otaru > Sapporo > Chitose AP.

I think it should be worthwhile to use this JR Hokkaido Pass right? I can use on all these routes that I share above? Also I can take the bus in Hakodate or Noboribetsu, or Lake Toya?

Also, I read through that you cannot upgrade to a GREEN SEAT? How much will it cost if after purchasing the JR Hokkaido Pass to upgrade to a Green Seat? I want to do that for the long route, like from Lake Toya to Hakodate.

Thank you!!!
Jeffery

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jeffery,

Yes, you can use the Hokkaido JR Pass to visit all of the places you listed. Check out the map here for the train lines covered:
    http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/railpass/rail01.pdf

The Pass gives you unlimited use of JR Hokkaido Bus lines, except for Twinkle Buses and the lines from Sapporo to Asahikawa, Monbetsu, Obihiro, Kiroro and Erimo. If the buses are not run by JR, they will not be covered by the JR Pass and you will have to pay separately.

You are correct that unfortunately you can't upgrade to a green seat. You cannot just pay an extra 'upgrade fee', you would have to purchase a green seat ticket for the journey at FULL COST if you wanted to sit in a green seat! This would be very expensive and defeat the purpose of buying a discount rail pass in the first place.

Japan Experience
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have a few further questions.

If I buy JR Hokkaido Pass, I can only get the reserved seats when I am in Chitose, right? How's the take up rate for Reserved seats during this period? I am travelling between 17 to 26 Dec. I just worried reserved seats will be taken up. :)

Thanks.

Jeffery